4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bought a mustang: HP Estimate?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM
B1DU5
1st Gear Member

Default Bought a mustang: HP Estimate?!

Hey guys, I bought a 2003 sonic blue GT with 40k miles the other day. I love the car, i was just curious with the stuff that it has done to it, what you guys would estimate the horse power at. Either to the flywheel or the rear wheels. Anyway, its a 5 speed with a short throw, BBK cold air intake, BBK throttle body (not sure what size), under drive pulleys, bassani headers, full bassani exhaust, 4:10 rear end. It also has a cobra hood, front bumper, rims, eibach springs (dropped 2 inchs), and a few other random things. Obviously the last few mods dont have anything to do with horsepower, just wanted to let you guys know.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Two hundred and twelve.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
PowerPonyPatrol
1st Gear Member

Probably pretty close to stock, which is usually around 210-220 RWHP. So I'd say you're probably no more than 225-230 RWHP, if that even. Only way to really know for sure though is just go dyno it.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Since you didn't mention a tune, i'm guessing around 245-250 rwhp.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I agree with Moonshine, without a tune 212 to 220 at best...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM
MC
2nd Gear Member

I WILL get beat up for posting all this stuff(It's alot) but after this question i did research on Horse Power, I had no idea.And since has changed as recent as the year 2005(SAE Certified HP) Check the SAE and DynoJet HP, I did not know this.Yes this is from Wikapedia, But most of it is true i guess.

4.6 L V8 was initially rated at 215 bhp, 1996-1997, but was later increased to 225 bhp in 1998. The Mustang's powertrains were carried over for 1999, but benefitted from new improvements.The Mustang GT's 4.6 L V8 saw an increase in output to 260 bhp(1999-2004), due to a new head design and other enhancements. There were also three alternate models offered in this generation: the 2001 Bullitt, the 2003 and 2004 Mach 1, as well as the 305 bhp (1999) 320 bhp (2001-2002),and 390 bhp (2003-2004) Cobra.

The power of an engine may be measured or estimated at several points in the transmission of the power from its generation to its application.

Nominal horsepower (nhp) is an early Nineteenth Century rule of thumb used to estimate the power of steam engines.
Indicated horsepower (ihp) is the theoretical power of a reciprocating engine if it is completely frictionless in converting the expanding gas energy (piston pressure × displacement) in the cylinders.
Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc

(Chassis Dynamometer)--True horsepower(THP), Effective horsepower (EHP) and wheel horsepower (whp) are the brake horsepower converted to useful work. In the case of a road vehicle this is the power actually turned into forward motion as measured on a chassis dynamometer. Power available at the road is generally 10% to 20% less than the engine's actual bhp crankshaft rating due to vehicle related parasitic losses, much of which is due to the vehicle's rubber tires rather than true transmission losses.

(Chassis Dynamometer)--Dynojet horsepower / DJHP, is a marketing hp scale that was created to read higher than True / Effective horsepower.They were successful in getting the magazines to accept the inflated numbers and are now the de facto standard for retail magazines. In the 100 djhp area, djhp is about 15% higher than True and in the 200 djhp, it's 18% to 20% higher.Most chassis dyno results that are published by magazines are djhp, causing confusion, as there is True hp, djhp and "estimated djhp". Commonly, the wide range of power sometimes reported is due to the error of djhp vs "estimated djhp" vs. the actual, unmodified True hp. DJHP is not "RWP" or "wheel power", it has its own factored up hp scale. Dynojet hp is always an inertia loaded sweep test.

SAE horsepower-
SAE gross crankshaft horsepower
Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower (bhp), frequently referred to as SAE gross horsepower, because it was measured in accord with the protocols defined in SAE standards J245 and J1995. As with other brake horsepower test protocols, SAE gross hp was measured using a stock test engine, generally running with few belt-driven accessories and sometimes fitted with long tube (test headers) in lieu of the OEM exhaust manifolds. The atmospheric correction standards for barometric pressure, humidity and temperature for testing were relatively idealistic.

SAE net crankshaft horsepower
In the United States, the term bhp fell into disuse in 1971-72, as automakers began to quote power in terms of SAE net horsepower in accord with SAE standard J1349. Like SAE gross and other brake horsepower protocols, SAE Net hp is measured at the engine's crankshaft, and so does not account for transmission losses. However, the SAE net hp testing protocol calls for standard production-type belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls, exhaust system, and other power-consuming accessories. This produces ratings in closer alignment with the power produced by the engine as it is actually configured and sold.

SAE CERTIFIED crankshaft horsepower
In 2005, the SAE introduced a new test protocol for engine horsepower and torque.The new protocol eliminates some of the flexibility in power measurement, and requires an independent observer present when engines are measured. The test is voluntary, but engines completing it can be advertised as SAE-certified.

A few manufacturers such as Honda and Toyota switched to the new ratings immediately, with multi-directional results; the rated output of Cadillac's supercharged Northstar V8 jumped from 440 hp to 469 hp under the new tests, while the rating for Toyota's Camry 3.0 L 1MZ-FE V6 fell from 210 hp to 190 horsepower. The ES330 and Camry SE V6 were previously rated at 225 hp but the ES330 dropped to 218 hp while the Camry declined to 210 hp. The first engine certified under the new program was the 7.0 L LS7 used in the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Certified power rose slightly from 500 hp to 505 hp.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

I got my car dynoed a NPI engine and it was 212. So I really hope it has more than that.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vertmustang98gt
I got my car dynoed a NPI engine and it was 212. So I really hope it has more than that.
That's where I got the number. Pretty much the same mods.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'm just curious why you guys are guessing such low numbers? He's pretty much a full bolt ons new edge gt, but without a tune. Stock they commonly run 220-230 rwhp on a Dynojet. With all his bolt ons (even without the tune) he should easily see 15-20 hp.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
That's where I got the number. Pretty much the same mods.
Uh you do realize an npi gt and pi gt have like a 30 rwhp difference stock right?

Quick Reply: Bought a mustang: HP Estimate?!