4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MOTOR NOISE...WITH VIDEO!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well, that's not necessarily true. You could have very minor contact, that could rear it's ugly head later with problems. If contact was sufficient enough it could waste the motor.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I mean i know he's not gonna want to tear down that motor again...lol especially if i think he did a bad job.

I mean he's worked on my dads car and it runs like a monster lol. Idk why mines like this...even though he mostly does LSx work.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

He should stand by his work and if you think there was something wrong with the workmanship, he needs to stand up to his work and redo/fix if his work screwed something up. Sounds like something serious though...sorry man. Maybe you should ask for a built shortblock for graduation. lol
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea...imma run it by him again. And see if he'll tear it down and look at it and if its not messed up degree the cams and such.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I hear it, but have no clue to be honest. BTW, Hitech saying that degreeing isn't necessary is absolutely retarded IMO. I mean you already have cams that have the ptv clearance of a human hair lol. Combine that with the possibility that your stock cams can be several degrees off, and if that wasn't enough already, the Hitech cams can be a few degrees off themselves too. See where i'm going with this?

My MHS cams came 5 and 7 degrees retarded from Bullet. They could have just as easily been 5-7 degrees advanced too. Think about that.

I know what you mean about the video not capturing the sound of the cams. You heard mine (wasn't all that choppy in the vid right?) but in person it's much more significant. I've heard plenty of Hitech's before, and they definitely sound good.
haha u douche u beat me to it. you must have posted a sec before me lol
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Yea...imma run it by him again. And see if he'll tear it down and look at it and if its not messed up degree the cams and such.
+1...If you ain't happy why settle.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
SnakeConvert98
1st Gear Member

Has it crossed your mind that it could be timing chain slap due to worn tentioners or needing addjusted? That's what it sounds like to me,heard a few on utube sounded just like it! JMO!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Shop didn't degree them since Hitech didn't require it, i wanted him too but he said that it wasn't needed.
That is terrible. It's sad how much people don't know about cams before they buy and install them. You knew how much of an issue clearance was going to be before you installed them yet you didn't take get them degree'd.

I'm not saying that is the problem but I still don't understand why people buy cams that are going to be so tight that PTV contact can be a very real issue.

Good luck with finding out what the problem is. I real hope it isn't a love session between your valves and pistons.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

IMO you need a tune.

When I had my cams installed I had that same kinda "knocking" noise (although yours seems a bit louder). It was fixed when I took the car to a professional tuner and had him change up all my timings and s***. I was scared to death of that noise.... I don't see how you drive with it like that haha.

before: (about a min in you can hear the noise im talking about)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVRls-bJc0

after: (you can audibly tell the difference between the untuned car and tuned car. The tuned runs much cleaner and no knocking/ticking/anything)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBg4...eature=related

Last edited by 0949er; 04-26-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

fuel knock maybe? I had a similar sound about one week ago. I was devistated. haha
I called a buddy/mechanic. I have the 04 gt motor in my sn95 with the 96 distributors. He unpluged the wires off one of the distributors checked the spark, put it back on and the sound was gone. Before that, it sounded similar to yours and also like a spun rod bearing. Might wanna do a compression test or something and check your COP's

Quick Reply: MOTOR NOISE...WITH VIDEO!!