4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

sss terminator mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The Terminators are 3.5" and the Adrenalines are 4.5". That's the only difference.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

if any of you are interested i have a sss terminator catback minus the tips for sale, its the cheaper of the ss pipes but i will let it go for $150 shipped, i went back to flowmasters but i used the tips, so all you need to get is tips and the clamps.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
K Z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang51js
if any of you are interested i have a sss terminator catback minus the tips for sale, its the cheaper of the ss pipes but i will let it go for $150 shipped, i went back to flowmasters but i used the tips, so all you need to get is tips and the clamps.
If the OP doesn't take this I would be interested, but I'll give him first crack at them.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jst98gtmustang
I have a set of mac o/r x..
Terminators will be LOUD and pretty raspy with the o/r x... well atleast from what i hear
Just something to think about...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
Terminators will be LOUD and pretty raspy with the o/r x... well atleast from what i hear
Just something to think about...

You are correct, the Terminators with a o/r x is stupid loud and raspy lol. I can't imagine anyone liking that setup.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Ok, here`s my take on SSS mufflers. I bought one of the first sets when they first came out a few years ago. While working under the car back in October, I noticed that the over the axle pipes looked discolored. I put my finger on the pipe to check it & it went right through, Yup! checking the rest of the setup, I found that the whole system, including the mufflers were rotting out & rusting badly. Who would have thought that stainless would rot away. I contacted John at SSS, & he told me that they would "make it right". He said that the factory in China probably did not use the correct grade of stainless on my set. After waiting & plaing phone tag for almost two months & not getting anything from them, they finally sent me a partial used replacement set of pipes (no mufflers, just pipes) in February. two of the pipes were from the same side of the car instead of two different sides. John told me that he was going to send me a complete new setup, but its the end of April & I`m still waiting. Oh did I mention that I could not drive the car all this time, because the state inspection was up & it sure was not going to pass with that exhaust system. I finally said the heck with it, & bought a cat back setup from Jegs. Not as nice sounding, but at least the car passed inspection & I can drive it again. I`m not pi$$ed, but live and learn, I won`t be buying from those folks again. Oh!, let me be clear, this was not the new "Terminator" set, but one of the original sets they sold. Your results may be better or worse.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

^ eh... hope that dont happen to me!?
BTW i thought they were made in US???
Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenv
Ok, here`s my take on SSS mufflers. I bought one of the first sets when they first came out a few years ago. While working under the car back in October, I noticed that the over the axle pipes looked discolored. I put my finger on the pipe to check it & it went right through, Yup! checking the rest of the setup, I found that the whole system, including the mufflers were rotting out & rusting badly. Who would have thought that stainless would rot away. I contacted John at SSS, & he told me that they would "make it right". He said that the factory in China probably did not use the correct grade of stainless on my set. After waiting & plaing phone tag for almost two months & not getting anything from them, they finally sent me a partial used replacement set of pipes (no mufflers, just pipes) in February. two of the pipes were from the same side of the car instead of two different sides. John told me that he was going to send me a complete new setup, but its the end of April & I`m still waiting. Oh did I mention that I could not drive the car all this time, because the state inspection was up & it sure was not going to pass with that exhaust system. I finally said the heck with it, & bought a cat back setup from Jegs. Not as nice sounding, but at least the car passed inspection & I can drive it again. I`m not pi$$ed, but live and learn, I won`t be buying from those folks again. Oh!, let me be clear, this was not the new "Terminator" set, but one of the original sets they sold. Your results may be better or worse.
Which grade stainless did you order? Do you drive the car in the winter with road salt? Even aluminized or galvanized steel will not rust through like that in that short of a time period without outside causes like calcium or salt.

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
^ eh... hope that dont happen to me!?
BTW i thought they were made in US???
Even if the parts are made in the US, the steel may have come from CHINA.

EDIT:

Well I just emailed them this:

Hello,

I am a member of an online mustang forum. There has been some talk and questions recently about your systems quality, and durability. One member said he had his entire system rot completely through in just 2 years time. He could poke his finger through tubing!! He has been waiting for months for a replacement and was sent some used parts once, and promised a whole new setup but that was back in February, and he still has nothing. Now, I will tell you this, if you expect to survive and profit in this industry, WORD OF MOUTH is a VERY important sales tool. If one person comes on and tells of a bad experience, and 2 thousand potential buyers read it and changed their minds, that's A LOT of money YOU as a company are going to lose out on. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume there is some confusion, and that is why the gentleman has not received his replacement system. He said he spoke with "Jon" from SSS. Another thing, he mentioned Jon had told him the products were made by a company in China...Is that true? I was under the impression they were US made. Does the steel come from China or US? I was considering buying the terminator series for my wife's car, as I have SLP Loudmouth's on mine, but if you cannot explain to me this, I will be spending the money on SLP where I KNOW he quality is truly top-notch.

I look forward to your response to this in a timely manner.

Regards,

Devon Garver

That ought to prod him a bit....

Last edited by devongarver; 04-29-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 AM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

Would it really be too loud with an x-pipe? anyone here have it?

i found this video it sounds pretty good with an x-pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqJUyquIwA
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

^ Its hard to tell without him revving to high and him not doing a drive by...
Have you ever seen my video? Cause i have the o/r x and adrenalines so listen to that then plan on yours being louder and more raspy...

Quick Reply: sss terminator mufflers?