4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

sss terminator mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

here is what mine sounded like with o/r h pipe, with the windows up

Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
^ Its hard to tell without him revving to high and him not doing a drive by...
Have you ever seen my video? Cause i have the o/r x and adrenalines so listen to that then plan on yours being louder and more raspy...
Where can i find your vids?
Maybe mac would be a better set up with my x-pipe?

I dont mind the loudness an i kinda like the raspy sound.Since i never really drive on the high way or anything it may not be that bad.

Last edited by jst98gtmustang; 04-29-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Its not bad sounding at all on the highway!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Which grade stainless did you order? Do you drive the car in the winter with road salt? Even aluminized or galvanized steel will not rust through like that in that short of a time period without outside causes like calcium or salt.

Even if the parts are made in the US, the steel may have come from CHINA.

EDIT:

Well I just emailed them this:

Hello,

I am a member of an online mustang forum. There has been some talk and questions recently about your systems quality, and durability. One member said he had his entire system rot completely through in just 2 years time. He could poke his finger through tubing!! He has been waiting for months for a replacement and was sent some used parts once, and promised a whole new setup but that was back in February, and he still has nothing. Now, I will tell you this, if you expect to survive and profit in this industry, WORD OF MOUTH is a VERY important sales tool. If one person comes on and tells of a bad experience, and 2 thousand potential buyers read it and changed their minds, that's A LOT of money YOU as a company are going to lose out on. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume there is some confusion, and that is why the gentleman has not received his replacement system. He said he spoke with "Jon" from SSS. Another thing, he mentioned Jon had told him the products were made by a company in China...Is that true? I was under the impression they were US made. Does the steel come from China or US? I was considering buying the terminator series for my wife's car, as I have SLP Loudmouth's on mine, but if you cannot explain to me this, I will be spending the money on SLP where I KNOW he quality is truly top-notch.

I look forward to your response to this in a timely manner.

Regards,

Devon Garver

That ought to prod him a bit....
I understand your concern. The letter is well written, and deserves a response.

All i can tell you is that i've talked to John for countless numbers of hours (for almost 4 years now) and he has never mentioned anything about materials or manufacturing coming from China. Regardless, i agree that it needs to be addressed, because the rumors and confusion continues to spread.

I was one of their very first customers, and have had nothing but positive results, in both the quality of the product, and customer service. I've had the SSS cat back on for close to 4 years now (it even saw one full Michigan winter) and it's still in perfect condition and looks great.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

^ eh... hope that dont happen to me!?
BTW i thought they were made in US???
Mine stated "made in China" right on the box. When I talked to john he told me that he had to talk with the people at the factory in China.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Which grade stainless did you order? Do you drive the car in the winter with road salt? Even aluminized or galvanized steel will not rust through like that in that short of a time period without outside causes like calcium or salt.
To be honest I don`t remember which grade of stainless I ordered, but it should not have gone to pot that quickly. The car is a toy, I don`t use it as a dd & don`t drive it in any kind of nasty weather. I bought it in `06 with 38k on it & it now has 48k
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

I have the 304 ss and so far its holding up good, drove it through 1 winter... still shines like the day i got it!

But then again it prob only has like 3000 miles if even on it lol
Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenv
To be honest I don`t remember which grade of stainless I ordered, but it should not have gone to pot that quickly. The car is a toy, I don`t use it as a dd & don`t drive it in any kind of nasty weather. I bought it in `06 with 38k on it & it now has 48k
Well then I would say its one of two things-or both.

1) SH|TTY Steel.

2) Sh*tty Steel...

The only outlying factor is the exhaust fumes. They are EXTREMELY corrosive to most finishes...the cheaper the finish the easier to corrode. But, any type of stainless should last more than 2 years, especially being driven in decent weather no salt etc etc.

I certainly hope he responds to me...I was polite damn't, I could have torn him a new one...But I actually want a response lol.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

^ Im sure he'll respond... but sometimes he takes a while!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

^ Im sure he'll respond... but sometimes he takes a while!
Well Here is the response I received...I'm not impressed, talk about vague.

Hi,

We appreciate your input and updates on forums. As you well
know, forums are typically one sided, and often they can be missing
full information.

I am not sure which customer you are referring to, so can not
comment on any particular one. We have had a low defect rate
on our product. Typically the product that we see come back
is where someone has taken it to a shop that has welded items
on it infecting the metal.

Our product is made overseas, as are some of the ones you mentions
(do a search on Panjiva).

We use 304 SUS and try to make sure that we use a 16-18 GA so
it can be welded if desired.

We were out of the 99-04 kits for about 2 months as the demand
was higher than expected. We test fit every production run on
one of our cars at the shop.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

JB

So, really that doesn't answer much except it's not made in USA. The grammar is poor/missing in parts-making it hard to see what his message is intended to be. I don't understand his correlation with his statement about being out of the kits for 2 months...what does that have to do with anything?

Well, in any case, I don't plan on buy from this company.
Not after this.

Quick Reply: sss terminator mufflers?