4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

failed inspection =[

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Default failed inspection =[

i failed inspection...my emissions was fine, everything is physically legal, but when the guy plugged in to my computer it said that it did not support that function...he gave me the paper that said everything that wasnt supported...it was like every sensor in the car, wat the hell lol...could my tuner have turned the stuff off? also, the day before i installed my raptor shift light which requires you to unplug the ecu...everything went fine and feels fine but could unplugging that have something to do with it? i drove 2 hours and went back to see if the problem fixed itself and it didnt...wat do u guys think?

plugs in fine and says 2 of the sensors r ready...then all of the others say unavailable or does not support...the inspector said hes never seen that before, normally itll just say ready or not ready...help please =]
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

here is your help...
Move to Michigan!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

im sure in Michigan they still do an OBD scan...there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with the car and nothing to make it fail, its just the fact that when he plugs in to do the OBD scan it says my sensors are unavailable or does not support
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

dont tell me this I just installed my raptor shift light as well... lol. I dont see how that could of f-ed something up... unless you forgot to unplug your battery or something when you were unplugging it....
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Drive it for another couple days and try again. When you unplugged your battery, it reset your computer so everything has to reset and be "ready" again. Its actually kinda normal from what ive heard actually. Dont freak out.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

I believe it is in the tune. Did it say not ready or not supported. When I went through emissions after I had my long tubes installed a bunch of stuff said not supported anymore after the custom tune. I can't remember which ones, sounds like you need to find a different place to get the test, one that might kind of look the other way. You know.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Drive it for another couple days and try again. When you unplugged your battery, it reset your computer so everything has to reset and be "ready" again. Its actually kinda normal from what ive heard actually. Dont freak out.
I second this though. If you unplug the battery, your ODBII stuff will read "Not Ready" for about 50 or so miles before it resets itself/runs enough self test to designate it "ready"

I tried to pass my old car this way... figured the CEL wouldn't come of for about 50 miles after I unplugged the battery... so I unplugged it in the parking lot of the shop... long story short, I learned what "not ready" meant haha.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

it said not supported..the inspector said that not ready normally means to go drive it around for a while, and hes never seen it say not supported...he told me to drive it around anyway and see wat happens..i did the shift light on friday, failed saturday...drove to the track sunday (which is a lil over an hour each way for id imagine thatd be enough to have it fix itself), and now today he scanned it again for me and it said not supported again...im goin to the tuner thursday but im buggin out a lil because the tuner doesnt think it was in the tune...

when i put in the shift light i started undoing the ground wire screw by the ecu, then realized i didnt unplug my battery, so i unplugged my battery, then continued to remove the ecu ground...but i only untwisted the ecu ground bolt like 2 twists when i realized so im pretty positive i didnt disconnect it at that point
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

WTF are emissions ?? lol in Michigan it is not required. Anyone know if they are in S. Carolina ?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

emissions is like ur exhaust output i believe? we go green here in jersey lol

Quick Reply: failed inspection =[