4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SUPERCHARGER NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:14 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

Default SUPERCHARGER NEED HELP!

Ok now i know there are a million post around the same topic but I have some question of my own that I can't seem to get answered.

1.the car is a daily driver I wanted a kb but I heard that they produce alot of heat so i'm kinda leaning towards centri vortech v-3 si-trim kit from am sense it seems it'll be easier on the motor and gas milage won't be to bad when I am without boost.

2.now with a intercooler it's cooling down the temp. of the air my question is will it be any safer to run an intercooler on a kit that dosn't really need it? like my thought was and I could be wrong but all your air is still always running threw the intercooler if you have one so it will always be cooler which means being safer correct? plus then at the track I could always boost it up and still be safe

3.I do get stuck in some pain in the *** traffic sometimes will I ever have to worry about over heating? and what kinda gas milage can I expect as long as i'm outta boost on the hwy

please give me some insight on these matters thanks for all the help

this site has been a big help

Last edited by saveme20; 05-04-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Snitz
1st Gear Member

if your looking at centri. superchargers i would recomend checking out procharger, they have pretty efficient superchargers, if you go to their site you can have them mail you information about your car for free, check it out. from what i have seen/read i'd end up going with a procharger over vortec, and the prochargers have a pertty efficient air to air intercooler as well that should be just fine with daily driving since its nicer to have cooler air.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saveme20
Ok now i know there are a million post around the same topic but I have some question of my own that I can't seem to get answered.

1.the car is a daily driver I wanted a kb but I heard that they produce alot of heat so i'm kinda leaning towards centri vortech v-3 si-trim kit from am sense it seems it'll be easier on the motor and gas milage won't be to bad when I am without boost.

2.now with a intercooler it's cooling down the temp. of the air my question is will it be any safer to run an intercooler on a kit that dosn't really need it? like my thought was and I could be wrong but all your air is still always running threw the intercooler if you have one so it will always be cooler which means being safer correct? plus then at the track I could always boost it up and still be safe

3.I do get stuck in some pain in the *** traffic sometimes will I ever have to worry about over heating? and what kinda gas milage can I expect as long as i'm outta boost on the hwy

1. The KB shouldn't really produce heat unless you're at high RPM. In daily driving it won't be any warmer than ambient, really.

2. You want an intercooler on any supercharged setup. It should just be a necessity with all kits. ACTs (air charge temps) spike under boost, it's both an effect of compressing gas, and of inefficiencies in the design. Mine is intercooled, on a 2nd gear pull, if it's 75 out, I'll see 92-95 degrees ACT by the end of 2nd, if I keep the pull going to third, by the end of third I'll see 112-115 degrees. The temperature falls right back off after leaving boost, but an intercooler both soaks up a lot of that heat and does keep the temperatures down. Without an intercooler you'll see immediate spikes of 50+ degrees hotter than that. It both hurts power and puts you at risk for detonation, which will mean the end of your motor.

3. You won't have to worry about overheating, it's not like the thing is a giant heater bolted on your motor. As long as you stay at low RPM, it shouldn't generate any heat whatsoever. I could drive for days, as long as I keep it below 2500 RPM or so, the blower stays cold to the touch... it gets no more than 2-3 degrees warmer than ambient. Your radiator fans should still be able to pull air through the radiator, even with an intercooler in front of it. Gas mileage won't really drop. I've seen a drop of 1-2 MPG, and most of the driving around here is at 55 MPH. That's as long as you stay out of it.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

thanks that really helps
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

wait shadowdrake how are you only at 383 when the kit says on a stock mustang gt 402rwhp with the procharger?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

wait shadowdrake how are you only at 383 when the kit says on a stock mustang gt 402rwhp with the procharger?
I have a P-1SC, and ProCharger says 60-70% HP gain for my setup. Coming from 230ish at the wheels to 383 is ~66%. I'm right in spec. I could squeeze some more power from it but that would be playing with fire. I have my tune rich (11:1, before adding fuel for heat) with the timing backed off a bit. I'd rather be short a few HP and have a motor that I can run hard regardless of the conditions.

My P-1SC is pretty old too, it's an early design. The new ones may be a little better. It's hard to say. Boost matters, the intercooler matters (I've got a tiny 2-core, gonna ditch it for a giant ebay intercooler). Too many factors on every car to say for sure where power is going to be.

Edit: And I've got the dyno sheet on my facebook

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=509984160

Last edited by ShadowDrake; 05-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Mustang813
1st Gear Member

Just butting in, but have you checked out the new SC from KB? It is supposedly 10X better than its org. If I can remember correctly, it produced more power at lesser boost and stayed cooler?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

1+bump
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

KBs do not run any hotter than any other supercharger kit. The intercooled kit comes with a garrett heat exchanger and an air-to-water intercooler system that does a great job at keeping things cool. Just make sure your intake pulls air from the fender and not the engine bay and you will be perfectly fine. KB's are considered more fun/ideal for the street because you get full boost/power at low RPMS as opposed to having to see 3-4k RPMS for any real boost out of a centri supercharger.

It is not worth putting a supercharger on your car without an intercooler. Whatever power gains you receive from the extra air will be negated by the engine pulling timing because the air is so hot. The result in the end is spending alot of money for an unsafe setup that doesn't yield satisfactory power gains.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

First off, whether you're running a KB or a centrifugal supercharger, both setups have by-pass valves which allows your supercharger system to "by-pass" any additional pressure produced by the supercharger when your engine is in vacuum... basically meaning it's very possible to drive around all day and never touch boost. So in theory, really your MPG (if you don't boost) should not really be affected at all.

I personally like some sort of cooling method for any forced induction car. It's considered acceptable to not run an intercooler on 8psi cars.. but like you mentioned, it certainly is only going to benefit you with one.

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGER NEED HELP!