4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sethg182
Yea deffinatly. I have some mechanical knowledge, but deffinatly not what it takes to completly understand how this beast works. for instance...whats a after cooler? and how does the water tank work to cool the supercharger?
Aftercooler is another word for intercooler that is used by vortech to describe their water to air intercooler setup. It basically uses a water to air design instead of a front mounted air to air design to cool the intake charge after it has been compressed by the supercharger.

The supercharger itself is not cooled by the aftercooler setup.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:16 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Well, if ya like it go for it! but personally if i had 14g id pick up nice a 03' or 04' mach 1, still a 32 valve with lots of potential.

Let us know if you get it, it's still a bad-*** car.

you guys will be the first to know if I pick up anything! this car would be cool...but i cant get attached to just one. Theres Alot of choices out there...just gotta be willing to wait. your right about finding an 03/04...deffinatly crossed my mind.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Aftercooler is another word for intercooler that is used by vortech to describe their water to air intercooler setup. It basically uses a water to air design instead of a front mounted air to air design to cool the intake charge after it has been compressed by the supercharger.

The supercharger itself is not cooled by the aftercooler setup.

ahh ok. Its all coming together now. Thanks for the info. The supercharger is cooled by the motor oil right? hence the oil line from the supercharger to oil pan...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

On most vortechs (non SL models) the supercharger is lubricated by the engine oil. That is the purpose of it being connected to the oil pan via the feed and drain lines. But engine oil is very hot when the car is running especially when driving hard. I can't imagine hot engine oil offers much for "cooling" of the supercharger.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Well, if ya like it go for it! but personally if i had 14g id pick up nice a 03' or 04' mach 1, still a 32 valve with lots of potential.

Let us know if you get it, it's still a bad-*** car.
So true. I sold my 05gt in Jan 09 with 7800 kms (4800 miles) custom painted stripes Roush 18x10 rims on the 4 corners with Michelin Pilots274-40-18's lowered tinted Flowmaster exhaust etc for 14g's. It was paid for so I was in a hurry to get rid of it to pick up my first Shelby. Deals are out there, a guy just has to look
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dude, I would totally buy that car actually. It has pretty much everything that i would ever want done to it, but i'd get rid of the vortech and put 03 cobra heads and cams on it and put a whipple on it instead. But the thing that makes me think this wasnt abused was the fact that its still only running 8psi out of the blower, even after getting forged internals. I mean that says a lot because a lot of the guys on here rebuild just for that fact...to up the boost to 17+lb of boost and make gobs of power. But I would very seriously consider buying this car before someone else does because that car has more than asking cost in it in parts alone, not including labor and the actual car itself. That brake kit has to be somewhere around $3k itself, full grip box is $4.8k, blower probably was a kit so call it $4.5k and then the new built motor and fuel system upgrades, wheels, etc. it adds up to a lot of money and you should definitely buy the car. Well worth it in my mind.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
On most vortechs (non SL models) the supercharger is lubricated by the engine oil. That is the purpose of it being connected to the oil pan via the feed and drain lines. But engine oil is very hot when the car is running especially when driving hard. I can't imagine hot engine oil offers much for "cooling" of the supercharger.
The more horsepower your running the higher the heat is under your hood. I just dont want to run into any problems. would it be possible to run a oil cooler for the supercharger? Heat is a damaging element from what ive been reading...I put a E-fan on my dodge it was the best decision I made for it.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I wouldnt worry about it honestly. if anything just run an oil cooler for the entire oiling system. But i wouldnt worry about it. Plenty of people on here running blowers without oil coolers and they do just fine.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

any engine that has been rebuilt before 100k miles, IMO, proves that the owner either did not properly maintain the car or abused the ever-living sh*t outta the car. the throwout bearing rebuild further proves that as well. sure its great the engine is more fresh now, but what else on the car has been severely damaged (ie clutch, flywheel, etc.)? and i can guarantee this car was brought to the track more than just "a few times." this car was probably brought out there every weekend of its life. beware man, this car is not what you're looking for as a secondary, as it will take up all of your primary time fixing/maintaining it. find a secondary car that has not been abused and will not require constant attention; and if 14k is your price range, i can guarantee you'll find a much nicer/newer stang
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
sethg182

ah ok. Im used to truck type aplications...oil coolers everywhere.

Quick Reply: What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra