4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM
sethg182

Default What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra

hey whats goin on? Im looking into buying a supercharged mustang cobra...But I want to know what you guys would pay/offer. below is the craigs list ad...IM NOT GOING TO POST WHAT HES ASKING...YET. want to get a few responses first.

Cobra # 2515 of 5174 in 1998. Currently has 72,xxx miles and is black on black. Engine was fully rebuilt at 60,000mi and has TONS of life left.

This car is ridiculously fast and is not even close to its full potential. The current tune made 405 RWHP at high altitude in Vegas and is extremely de-tuned. The engine is tuned and fully built with quality parts by NRP in Las Vegas who are top notch at everything they do. It has a Vortech V-1 supercharger putting out 8lbs boost but I have a pulley and new belt which will bring it to 12lbs which it can handle no problem with a new tune.

It will come with a SCT handheld tuner including a tune to pass CA emissions. The car should have no problem pushing more than 500rwhp simply by putting on the smaller pulley and tuning it - the only thing which I might consider upgrading would be going from 42lb to 60lb injectors to handle the extra fuel loads.

Although it sounds like this car is all about horsepower, that couldn't be farther from the truth. The suspension and brakes are guaranteed to blow your mind! It has the full Maximum Motorsports package with coilovers on all corners and 14'' 6 piston Baer front brakes! I have been road racing Mustang's for 6 years and have the suspension very well dialed in so it won't brake your back as a daily driver but will also handle very neutral with easily controlled oversteer.

Here is a bullet list of what you'll be getting:

-4.6 32 valve re-built and beefed up at 59,996
-Vortech V-1 with charge air cooler and water tank.
-Custom C&R heavy duty aluminum radiator
-Custom burned ECM
-Canton 8 quart road race pan w/ windage tray
-Baer Extreme 14" 6 piston Alcon fronts
-Baer Touring plus 13.25" rear slotted w/ aluminum hats.
-Long ARP studs front and rear.
-Custom vent tubes from the fog light holes to the front rotors
-04 Mach 1-1 1/16" master cylinder
-Complete Maximum Motorsports "Maximum Grip Box" package. See link below
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1038
-42#injectors
-90 MM Ford lightning MAF w/ K&N conical in the fenderwell.
-Remote mounted oil filter, mounted in the drivers side fenderwell.
-Anderson Power Pipe
-Pierburg in line fuel pump, 255 Walbro in tank fuel pump.
-HPC coated full length headers w/ h-pipe and Fowmaster delta flow 2.5" 3 chambers
-18x9.5 SSR Competition forged aluminum wheels (front and rear) 18.2 LBS each.
-Brand new Nitto 555 275/35zr18's front and rear.
-3.73 FRPP gearset
-31 spline moser axles.
-MSD DIS-4 CD ignition w/ tach adapters mounted under the passenger seat.
-Ported and extrude honed intake manifold.
-JBA 9mm spark plug wires -Accufab single blade throttle body.
-Subframe connectors are welded not bolted.
-Trunk mounted optima red w/ custom billet mount.
-Auto meter pillar mounted fuel pressure and boost guages.
-3-piece adjustable clutch cable
-Eagle H-beam rods.
-Probe Forged pistons.
-Complete 3 angle valve job perfomed at re-build.
-All brand new ARP Head bolts.
-Brand new throw out bearing installed at re-build.
-MACH 460 sound system
-Autologic chip

Last edited by lizzyfan; 05-10-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 AM
04orngegt
1st Gear Member

nada says your looking close to 10k off the bat for the car...so 15 to 18k as a starting point. sounds like its got all the good stuff in it.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 AM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't touch it, someone's driven that thing to hell and back, probably why the engine's been rebuilt. And the throw out bearing & other tranny work probably indicates that it too has been beat to ****. But if your spending 18k why not buy something newer, older cars are not as reliable as new ones...new cars are almost superior in every way, still looks like a money pit to me.

Why not invest in a stock termi and mod it yourself? whats the fun in not having a project car? These are the kind of cars i avoid, i see so many people that modify their cars and expect a huge return because its so fast or cool. I would pay bluebook value tops... Id only throw top dollar on a cobra thats stock and hasn't been abused.

But everyone has their own opinion, thats my 2 cents...

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 05-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

sounds nice, but sounds like its going to be quite pricey.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

To many miles so I would not even look at it, sorry.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
I wouldn't touch it, someone's driven that thing to hell and back, probably why the engine's been rebuilt. And the throw out bearing & other tranny work probably indicates that it too has been beat to ****. But if your spending 18k why not buy something newer, older cars are not as reliable as new ones...new cars are almost superior in every way, still looks like a money pit to me.

Why not invest in a stock termi and mod it yourself? whats the fun in not having a project car? These are the kind of cars i avoid, i see so many people that modify their cars and expect a huge return because its so fast or cool. I would pay bluebook value tops... Id only throw top dollar on a cobra thats stock and hasn't been abused.

But everyone has their own opinion, thats my 2 cents...
I totally agree with everything your saying. But this is gonna be a second car for me. The reason for not modding it myself is that I dont have as many resources as I did compared to the past. I lived and breathed auto tech and body shop when i was in highschool. I used to have a free shop to use whenever even after HS...but that ended. (im 24 now) I wanna find a car thats already got the work done to it so I dont have to put the money in it. Theres alot of these for sale and this is only one of em Im not attached to it. I want something thats already done and built and proven. BUT AGAIN...the guy said hes ran this car on the track a few times. So yeah it probably has been beat on. Its buit so it should be able to handle it. thanks for writing. really appreciate the advice.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 AM
sethg182

Oh yea and the guy is asking 14K...hes already lowered the price once from 14.5k...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 AM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Well, if ya like it go for it! but personally if i had 14g id pick up nice a 03' or 04' mach 1, still a 32 valve with lots of potential.

Let us know if you get it, it's still a bad-*** car.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

That thing has well over 15K just in parts just FYI. A car like that is the only way I could justify buying a 98 cobra with what 14K can buy right now. Just get it checked out really well before you make any deal.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
That thing has well over 15K just in parts just FYI. A car like that is the only way I could justify buying a 98 cobra with what 14K can buy right now. Just get it checked out really well before you make any deal.
Yea deffinatly. I have some mechanical knowledge, but deffinatly not what it takes to completly understand how this beast works. for instance...whats a after cooler? and how does the water tank work to cool the supercharger?

Quick Reply: What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra