4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
StlParamedic

Default Exhaust

Hey guys this is my first post on here so I'm sorry if its wrong section :/. I just got a new 2000 GT Vert recently after selling my fox and want it louder. Its 100% stock ATM. I want it to be loud, but more like a muscle car, not like some chevy truck lol. I heard Spintech's are loud and so are glasspacks. Does anyone have any advice? I'll probably be getting X/H pipe soon but just starting with the mufflers right now. If anyone knows the loudest mufflers, I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Look into Magnaflow MAGNAPACKS or SSS Loudmouth catback exhaust. You drop this in along with an o/r Xpipe (Mac) for example and you'll be almost waking up the dead :P

PS. I'd suggest either before exhaust or right after ASAP: GEARS 3.73 (manaul) or 4.10 (auto) + Tuner (Diablo or SCT)
Skip dropping in a CAI your stock one will be fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

i would check out MAC. nice old school tone.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

you say LOUD, but do you want a "people hear me coming from a mile away" LOUD or a "that screams and sounds like a mustang" LOUD.

any off-road(catless) midpipe (X/H) and a glasspack style muffler like LM1/LM2/Magnapack/SSS Terminator will all be "mile away" loud and raspy/poppy (most people are not a fan of both hearing it outside the car as well as driving the car)

another thing to consider is drone inside the cabin. i have catless x pipe and regular magnaflow mufflers and i drone right at 2K rpm...it's loud but sounds good

best advice is use the search button on here for exhaust clips and use youtube to listen to all sorts of setups. but be careful b/c most ppl use digital camera's to take a vid and they don't capture the true tone at diff rpm ranges so you wont get an exact representation of the tone. be careful for o/r pipes if youhave emissions testing and whatnot (there are ways around it..MIL's and tunes)
Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
K Z
2nd Gear Member

The first thing I did to my mustang was put flowmasters on it. I will say if I had it to do over I would have changed the mid pipe first. If you put on a o/r pipe (even with the stock mufflers) I would bet would be a lot louder. As for the mufflers, do like others have said search for clips you like. The only thing to watch for is the whole set up, headers and the mid pipe will change the tone of the mufflers.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Look into Magnaflow MAGNAPACKS or SSS Loudmouth catback exhaust. You drop this in along with an o/r Xpipe (Mac) for example and you'll be almost waking up the dead :P

PS. I'd suggest either before exhaust or right after ASAP: GEARS 3.73 (manaul) or 4.10 (auto) + Tuner (Diablo or SCT)
I think there is a bit of brand confusion here lol.

There is the SSS brand, which has terminators that are nice and loud.

Then there is the SLP brand which has the Loudmouth series which I have.

I have recently learned some information steering me away from SSS in the future, but I can FULLY and WHOLE-HEARTEDLY recommend SLP Loudmouth 1's, they are sexy loud...

+1 on the gears and tuner though, definitely the next step after the exhaust.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 PM
02ROLLER

Originally Posted by sonicx

Dont mean to change the subject but I just bought an 02 GT and was wondering why changing the gears should be on top of the priority list?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:01 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02ROLLER
Dont mean to change the subject but I just bought an 02 GT and was wondering why changing the gears should be on top of the priority list?
It's the biggest/cheapest butt dyno gain there is. Not actually gaining HP, but it feeeeeels like you are.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:27 PM
02ROLLER

aaah gotcha, didnt know if their was a notorious problem their or what. So Im mostly on the highway im assuming that would kill my gas mileage?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Magnapacks + UPR off-road X

Quick Reply: Exhaust