4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Why do my MPG's suck so badly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
my thinking is that the thicker oil absorbs noise more than the thinner weights so there is less noise and probably absorbs more vibrations i'd think. now a lighter oil will give slight increases in power and better mpg, my car seems to run smoother with heavier weighted oil in it. Just my .02.
I definitely see where that part makes sense...but damn both theories make sense, maybe it really is all in my head lol.

Well regardless I still run synthetic lol.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Mobil1 all the way!!! The amsoil guy that is the supplier for my buddy's shop was trying to get me to pay $9/qt for amsoil...i was like NO THANKS!!! He said that if i just let my oil go to 6000 miles rather than 3000 miles like i usually do, that the amsoil would pay for itself. Then i told him "yea...and it will look like the oil is draining out of a diesel, not a mustang" and he walked away but slowly shouted "but at least its still doing its job"...but so would mobil1 at that mileage seeing that mobil1 is rated to 15k miles. but i would never drive it that long.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i think those claims are a little riduclous, 7hp/15ft-lbs of tq?

The highest i've ever seen anyone claim was royal purple giving 4whp.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i think those claims are a little riduclous, 7hp/15ft-lbs of tq?

The highest i've ever seen anyone claim was royal purple giving 4whp.
well who knows...it's not wheel HP though, thats BHP, or crank HP. They were just doing a motor, no drive train.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Im going to politely disagree...

BOOK.
Ill stick to my dyno oil.. cheaper and hasnt ever let me down. IMO synthetic is just a gimmick that a lot of people bought in to. It just resists breaking down longer, thats about it.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Ill stick to my dyno oil.. cheaper and hasnt ever let me down. IMO synthetic is just a gimmick that a lot of people bought in to. It just resists breaking down longer, thats about it.
LMAO I like your "book" interpretation lol. Ya I hear ya about the gimmick thing...to each his own I guess. But damn, if it really is a gimmick, they are some seriously talented marketing engineers to pull one over on so many of us...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

random question Hoss are the wheels in your sig photoshopped? They look fake lol
Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

LMAO I like your "book" interpretation lol. Ya I hear ya about the gimmick thing...to each his own I guess. But damn, if it really is a gimmick, they are some seriously talented marketing engineers to pull one over on so many of us...
My opinions are based off of tests iv seen done where I used to work. I used to work at Southwest Research here in san antonio(Sense your an EE maybe you have heard of it). In the fuels and lubricants division they would run bike motors, car motors on dynoes with synthetic and dino. After running the engines until failure, then fixing em then running em again, none of them failed under 4000 miles. They found no benefit as far as wear on the motor to synthetic, the synthetic just keeps its chemical properties longer without turning into a sludgy goop.

and yea my sig is photoshopped all to hell. lol
Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
My opinions are based off of tests iv seen done where I used to work. I used to work at Southwest Research here in san antonio(Sense your an EE maybe you have heard of it). In the fuels and lubricants division they would run bike motors, car motors on dynoes with synthetic and dino. After running the engines until failure, then fixing em then running em again, none of them failed under 4000 miles. They found no benefit as far as wear on the motor to synthetic, the synthetic just keeps its chemical properties longer without turning into a sludgy goop.

and yea my sig is photoshopped all to hell. lol
Wait, so they run a motor until it fails. Then they fix what failed, and leave the same oil in? I don't think I understand the test. I'm not seeing the significance of the 4000 miles part. Can you explain again lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Wait, so they run a motor until it fails. Then they fix what failed, and leave the same oil in? I don't think I understand the test. I'm not seeing the significance of the 4000 miles part. Can you explain again lol.
No... they run a motor untill it fails, fix it, record when and why it failed, and redo the test. of course they change the oil.. use your brain lol. None of the tests ever failed before the cars hit at least 4000 miles.

Quick Reply: Why do my MPG's suck so badly?