4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New 12 sec N/A 2v club member!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

AWESOME.....big congrats!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

i think its great that you got in the 12s. Now not to knock on your times, but your 60' doesnt seem to be the problem to me. I ran a 13.39 with a 2.01 60@102.5ish basically if i had had stickies and ran a 1.8 i would have had a 13.1ish at 102 i know this pretty much for a fact, because i was racing a camaro with stickies, and we had dam near the same speeds at all the trap points, only he picked me out at the 60 foot. So that being said, you are either losing traction hard when you shift, or you are taking your time shifting....just a guess. at 109 i would venture mid low 12s should be where your aiming. Hell i think there is a new youtube video of the new 5.0 running 12.6@108 and that thing weights 2 tons.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
i think its great that you got in the 12s. Now not to knock on your times, but your 60' doesnt seem to be the problem to me. I ran a 13.39 with a 2.01 60@102.5ish basically if i had had stickies and ran a 1.8 i would have had a 13.1ish at 102 i know this pretty much for a fact, because i was racing a camaro with stickies, and we had dam near the same speeds at all the trap points, only he picked me out at the 60 foot. So that being said, you are either losing traction hard when you shift, or you are taking your time shifting....just a guess. at 109 i would venture mid low 12s should be where your aiming. Hell i think there is a new youtube video of the new 5.0 running 12.6@108 and that thing weights 2 tons.
I'm not saying my 1.807 is a bad 60ft, there is just room for improvement. Guys are cutting as down in the 1.5xx range on slicks with basically the same power. I'm running DRs and one legging it off the line half the time.

I don't see how my shifts are holding me back considering I am in the 12s with a 1.8 60ft. I know with a lower 60, I can be low 12s with this same setup, and same shifts. Usually I have traction problems in 1st and when shifting into 2nd. The 12.8 pass, I just barked 2nd, but didn't hook all that hard off the line.

I actually ran against a 2011 5.0 auto last night. He was bone stock running 12.7-8 all night, but I don't recall what he was trapping. They do weigh a bit more, but they also have me by about 100hp.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well im just saying. My main point is trap speed. Trap speed is an indication of potential. you can have a factory mustang with DRs (meaning no drag suspension) running 1.8-1.9 60s. but they will only trap like 99mph maybe a hair over 100. But that same 1.8 with a trap speed of 108 means your moving *** lol. SO my point is that trap speed im positive is capable of 12.5.....with your 1.8 . not trying to start anything. But to give you an example. i powershift. One night i was running like 13.7-13.8 and i was getting pissed cuz i should have been 13.5ish well come to find out i wasnt powershifting 3rd (3rd being the hardest to shift, keep in mind thinking about powershifting is a must to acctually do it) So the next time down the track i told my self dont forget to power 3rd. made my 1-2 power then said dont forget and bam, powered 3rd....clicked off a 13.5 I know it doesnt seem like its much. But sit back and think about how long .1 or .2 of a second is. and if you shift 4 times @.4 of a second. (no idea whats normal) then shaving even half a tenth will add up. Just my 2 cents. Im still jelious of your time slip and you trap speed. I narrow it down to shifting because you dont sound like you have traction issues. just my thoughts dont take them as anything but me offering some advice?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Engine/Drivetrain:
MPH 800hp built bottom end 9.43:1 CR
MPH custom blower cams
stock heads with HD springs
78mm BBK TB/Plenum
JBA shortys
Bassani Catted X
Borla Stingers
K&N drop in filter w/stock intake tube
Mezier Electric water pump
Trick Flow UDPs
Sniper Tuned on 91 octane
Dynojet Wideband Commander
271rwhp & 286rwhp Mustang Dyno

Stock TR-3650
Centerforce DF clutch
UPR Firewall Adjuster
Steeda Quick Release Quadrant
Fidanza Alum Flywheel
FRPP Alum DS
FRPP 4.10 gears
RP 75w90 synthetic
Rear End Girdle

Tires/Suspension:
MM FLSFCs
UPR Coilovers
UPR 4 bolt CC-Plates
14-175 front 10-150 rear (spring rates)
Lakewood UCA/LCAs
Lakewood 70/30 fronts
Lakewood 50/50 rears
removed sway bar, quad shocks, dogbone, spare/jack
275/50-15 MT ET Street Radials on 15x9 Draglites
fronts are 215/65-15 on 15x7 Draglites

Waiting to be installed:
05116NOS 125 dry shot, FRPP 31-spline diff, Alloy USA 31-spline axles, Ratech rebuild kit, 75w140 RP Max Gear Gear Oil
Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
My previous best was 13.01 @ 109.80 with a 1.822 60ft. I think my driving is just getting a bit better especially in the shifting department. I have installed coilovers since then, but my 60ft only improved by .015 which doesn't make up for the ET difference.

Once I get my new Diff installed and stop sporadic one legging issues, hopefully I can cut in the low 1.7s and get down around 12.5ish
Nice. You have put money into the car and it seems like its paying off. What's your redline? I ask because your heads are stock and you have the built bottom end.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
well im just saying. My main point is trap speed. Trap speed is an indication of potential. you can have a factory mustang with DRs (meaning no drag suspension) running 1.8-1.9 60s. but they will only trap like 99mph maybe a hair over 100. But that same 1.8 with a trap speed of 108 means your moving *** lol. SO my point is that trap speed im positive is capable of 12.5.....with your 1.8 . not trying to start anything. But to give you an example. i powershift. One night i was running like 13.7-13.8 and i was getting pissed cuz i should have been 13.5ish well come to find out i wasnt powershifting 3rd (3rd being the hardest to shift, keep in mind thinking about powershifting is a must to acctually do it) So the next time down the track i told my self dont forget to power 3rd. made my 1-2 power then said dont forget and bam, powered 3rd....clicked off a 13.5 I know it doesnt seem like its much. But sit back and think about how long .1 or .2 of a second is. and if you shift 4 times @.4 of a second. (no idea whats normal) then shaving even half a tenth will add up. Just my 2 cents. Im still jelious of your time slip and you trap speed. I narrow it down to shifting because you dont sound like you have traction issues. just my thoughts dont take them as anything but me offering some advice?
I get what you're saying. And I don't think you're trying to start anything. I am always trying to improve every aspect of my driving. I'm sure that I will get better at shifting the more trips down the track I make. I will say, that I don't trap that high all the time. I usually trap anywhere from 107-109 depending on how good my shifting is and if I nail the rpm (shift point) just right. I am stuck between powershifting and taking my car past 6k. If I try to powershift at 6200+, it won't go into gear at all. So I partially let off the throttle for all my shifts, kind of like a half powershift. It seems to be working pretty good so far.

I am definitely having traction issues. I only cut 2 60fts under 1.9 the whole night. I was running 13.0-13.1 with 2.0 60fts and even had a couple of 2.1s That is pathetic for my setup. I was spinning through first gear half of the time!!! My buddy caught it on film where I was one legging it off the line and even a couple times in the burnout box. My rear end randomly decides when it wants to spin both tires. So my launch is inconsistent. If I launch at 4500 and it only puts the power to one tire, then I spin the F out. Next run I could launch at 4500 and it hooks both tires and I bog.......I need to fix this. I didn't launch above 4500 the whole night.

Originally Posted by nascrchi
Nice. You have put money into the car and it seems like its paying off. What's your redline? I ask because your heads are stock and you have the built bottom end.
I can spin this thing to 7k if I wanted to, but on my current setup, its unwarranted. I have my limiter set at 6500 right now. My power peaks around 5500 and hold good power til about 6400 where it drops off. I usually **** about 6100. Yeah, since I bought the car back in 2006, I have put some good money and time into it. It's still a work in progress. My next thing is installing the 31 spline stuff in the rear end and finishing my nitrous install. I told myself I wouldn't spray it until I got in the 12s N/A, so I should have some nitrous runs here in the near future. Maybe I can hit 11s by the end of the season on the bottle
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

other than your car being faster we are a lot a like lol.....im sittin here going wtf is one leggin it....then i realized ahaha. Anyway i had the same problem thats why i rebuilt the rear last summer, sounds like you burned through the clutches. I had them put in carbon fiber clutches.....wish i had sprung the other 500 for 31 spline crap.....In anycase one tire fire makes it near impossible to determine how to launch it. thats why i gave up and rebuilt it. It was annoying. Imagine my frusteration when launch 2.0s for the first time, getting 3 in a row, then having the rear go I GIVE UP!!! STOP IT!!! and then no more 2.0s.....lol Also sounds like you either have a worn clutch or shifty syncros. I had that problem sometimes with the t-45, im hoping that goes away a little with the new clutch and rebuilt t-56. And i also did a lot of half powershifts until i got used to it (mainly 3rd) Do you have an MGW? if not get one, you wont be disapointed. Only missed One powershift in probebly 50 runs. And im not even sure why i missed it.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I'm running a centerforce DF with around 10k on it, but it's possible I just need more practice with powershifting. As far as the rear end goes, yeah, it's really frustrating. But it held together a few times last night and I left the track on a very good note. It seemed to help if I kept the rpms up in the burnout box above 6k when heating up the tires.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=tbirdscwd;7027462]I get what you're saying. And I don't think you're trying to start anything. I am always trying to improve every aspect of my driving. I'm sure that I will get better at shifting the more trips down the track I make. I will say, that I don't trap that high all the time. I usually trap anywhere from 107-109 depending on how good my shifting is and if I nail the rpm (shift point) just right. I am stuck between powershifting and taking my car past 6k. If I try to powershift at 6200+, it won't go into gear at all. So I partially let off the throttle for all my shifts, kind of like a half powershift. It seems to be working pretty good so far.

I am definitely having traction issues. I only cut 2 60fts under 1.9 the whole night. I was running 13.0-13.1 with 2.0 60fts and even had a couple of 2.1s That is pathetic for my setup. I was spinning through first gear half of the time!!! My buddy caught it on film where I was one legging it off the line and even a couple times in the burnout box. My rear end randomly decides when it wants to spin both tires. So my launch is inconsistent. If I launch at 4500 and it only puts the power to one tire, then I spin the F out. Next run I could launch at 4500 and it hooks both tires and I bog.......I need to fix this. I didn't launch above 4500 the whole night.

I can spin this thing to 7k if I wanted to, but on my current setup, its unwarranted. I have my limiter set at 6500 right now. My power peaks around 5500 and hold good power til about 6400 where it drops off. I usually **** about 6100. Yeah, since I bought the car back in 2006, I have put some good money and time into it. It's still a work in progress. My next thing is installing the 31 spline stuff in the rear end and finishing my nitrous install. I told myself I wouldn't spray it until I got in the 12s N/A, so I should have some nitrous runs here in the near future. Maybe I can hit 11s by the end of the season on the bottle [/QUOTE]

So what do you need to do to rev up to 7k? Heads?

and man, thats wtf I'm talking about! lol I'm looking forwad to your numbers after the juice.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi

So what do you need to do to rev up to 7k? Heads?

and man, thats wtf I'm talking about! lol I'm looking forwad to your numbers after the juice.
Stock heads will rev that high no problem. You need serious cams to make power up that high though. You also don't want to rev the stock bottom end past maybe 6400. When I eventually go back to a supercharger, the engine will see up in the 7k range once again. When was running my p-1sc kit, I was making peak power up at about 6500rpm.........and then there was fuel shortage

I am looking forward to runs on the bottle too. The rear should be built in the next couple weeks if I ever get my lazy *** to install the 31-spline stuff. After that it's 125 shot here we come!!!

Quick Reply: New 12 sec N/A 2v club member!!!!