4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Royal Purple "Purple Ice"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:38 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Since this has moved toward a discussion of RP's products I will toss in some anecdotal "evidence". Because in part I got caught up in the gushing reviews, and because I could get it at the wholesale price, I had (at 30k miles) used RP's Synchromax to replace the stock juice in my '03 3650.

I used it again at 65k (once again I had a wholesale cost source), but when we did the clutch a month or so ago I could no longer get it at cost and used Mobil 1 ATF, and guess what--it shifts quite noticeably smoother, to the point that the little "hitch" between 1st and the neutral gate is almost gone.

Which gets me to something I have asked people for years, "Who do you thing has and spends more money for R&D? Mobil or Royal Purple (Amsoil/Redline/etc)?"
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ahh this is another turning into one of those "full synthetic" threads, gotta spend the extra dough on something that says full synthetic!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

OP how about this ...... Stick to what your owners manual recommends, nothing else and call it a day.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 AM
shonole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at it's (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's it's primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within it's rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

A "good" temperature is whatever the manufacturer decided it should be, for our cars 210°F is "normal", 180° would be cold and require retuning.

The "guy you know" is a dick, stop listening to him and start reading some decent books about internal combustion engines--Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals is the "bible"...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Sorry I was in the Maldivian islands last week. But thank you guys, I seriously ALMOST wasted my money on that stuff. I was actually on the verge of buying quite a few RP products.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Evenexchange;7056340]Sorry I was in the Maldivian islands last week. But thank you guys, I seriously ALMOST wasted my money on that stuff. I was actually on the verge of buying quite a few RP products.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect I think you are full of s***
Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
What are you looking at?
Didn't see this before I left... Sonic, I am looking at an STI or an EVO
Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=SonicMustang143;7056345]
Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Sorry I was in the Maldivian islands last week. But thank you guys, I seriously ALMOST wasted my money on that stuff. I was actually on the verge of buying quite a few RP products.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect I think you are full of s***
Lol, you think I bought it? I didn't. Well, I had it in my cart online before I left the country maybe hoping i'd have it for when I came home, but you all are pretty knowledgable so... why waste 100 dollars for something that doesn't work as advertised.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Didn't see this before I left... Sonic, I am looking at an STI or an EVO
Dude look at your trail of threads that you have started over the course of the past three months....
Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
Dude look at your trail of threads that you have started over the course of the past three months....
Okay, I'll go look. Lmao

Quick Reply: Royal Purple "Purple Ice"