Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,140
Default Royal Purple "Purple Ice"

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...r-coolant.html

I'm shopping for my new car, and I know a few guys who have put this in their Mustangs and noticed a 15-30 degree dropoff in temperature. One guy I know actually, put this in and dropped from 210 degrees to a more "normal" level... like 180 or something.

I want to know, how many bottles of this do you need to buy, I want my new engine to be running at a good temperature when I get it. Do you need just one?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Evenexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,140
Default

Also, does it mix with any form of Glycol? Or are there specific glycol specifications?
Evenexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenexchange View Post
http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...r-coolant.html

I'm shopping for my new car, and I know a few guys who have put this in their Mustangs and noticed a 15-30 degree dropoff in temperature. One guy I know actually, put this in and dropped from 210 degrees to a more "normal" level... like 180 or something.

I want to know, how many bottles of this do you need to buy, I want my new engine to be running at a good temperature when I get it. Do you need just one?
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at its (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's its primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within its rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

A "good" temperature is whatever the manufacturer decided it should be, for our cars 210°F is "normal", 180° would be cold and require retuning.

The "guy you know" is a dick, stop listening to him and start reading some decent books about internal combustion engines--Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals is the "bible"...
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.

Last edited by cliffyk; 06-09-2010 at 06:08 PM.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenexchange View Post
Also, does it mix with any form of Glycol? Or are there specific glycol specifications?
There is absolutely no need to use any additives in the coolant, use the manufacturer's recommended product and flush it every 50k miles or so.

The first thing you should do if you buy a used car is change all the fluids; coolant, motor oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and differential. I don't care if the PO told you did it yesterday--do it anyway...
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at it's (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's it's primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within it's rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

A "good" temperature is whatever the manufacturer decided it should be, for our cars 210°F is "normal", 180° would be cold and require retuning.

The "guy you know" is a dick, stop listening to him and start reading some decent books about internal combustion engines--Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals is the "bible"...
LOL! Alright, well, I'm buying it. I understand that you don't like additives like these, so let me waste my money. My friend knows quite a bit, and has quite the beastly Cobra that is in very good health. Royal Purple wouldn't make this stuff if it didn't do anything.
Evenexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator
 
teej281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,280
TJ Brillhart
Default

I need to do a coolant flush and change the tranny fluid. Thanks for reminding me. lol
__________________





Member of Team IRS-GT #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT View Post
Saying there is a 1whp difference between the X and H and trying to justify it as a performance difference, is like walking 100 feet to your car and eating a cheeseburger while saying its fine because you just did "cardio".
teej281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
2k1gt
5th Gear Member
 
2k1gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle: The Silver Slut
Location: Athens, Georgia
Posts: 3,733
Default

I hope this friend isn't the same one who told you HIDs were hard to install...

And yes, companies do make products that don't work as advertised. It's called making money off of people who don't know any better. cliffyk knows his s***. I would listen to him.
__________________
2k1gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,909
Default

Quote:
LOL! Alright, well, I'm buying it. I understand that you don't like additives like these, so let me waste my money. My friend knows quite a bit, and has quite the beastly Cobra that is in very good health. Royal Purple wouldn't make this stuff if it didn't do anything.
OK...
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
H0SS302
6th Gear Member
 
H0SS302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '88 LX Hatch
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at it's (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's it's primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within it's rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

A "good" temperature is whatever the manufacturer decided it should be, for our cars 210°F is "normal", 180° would be cold and require retuning.

The "guy you know" is a dick, stop listening to him and start reading some decent books about internal combustion engines--Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals is the "bible"...
Spoken like a true hardass. Cliff if FTW
H0SS302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator
 
teej281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,280
TJ Brillhart
Default

^Werd...
__________________





Member of Team IRS-GT #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT View Post
Saying there is a 1whp difference between the X and H and trying to justify it as a performance difference, is like walking 100 feet to your car and eating a cheeseburger while saying its fine because you just did "cardio".
teej281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
180, 1996, 2000, car, classic, cliffyk, cobra, degree, forum, good, ice, ii, motocraft, mustang, mustangs, purple, royal, thermostat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup