4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Royal Purple "Purple Ice"

Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Royal Purple "Purple Ice"

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...r-coolant.html

I'm shopping for my new car, and I know a few guys who have put this in their Mustangs and noticed a 15-30 degree dropoff in temperature. One guy I know actually, put this in and dropped from 210 degrees to a more "normal" level... like 180 or something.

I want to know, how many bottles of this do you need to buy, I want my new engine to be running at a good temperature when I get it. Do you need just one?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Also, does it mix with any form of Glycol? Or are there specific glycol specifications?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...r-coolant.html

I'm shopping for my new car, and I know a few guys who have put this in their Mustangs and noticed a 15-30 degree dropoff in temperature. One guy I know actually, put this in and dropped from 210 degrees to a more "normal" level... like 180 or something.

I want to know, how many bottles of this do you need to buy, I want my new engine to be running at a good temperature when I get it. Do you need just one?
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at its (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's its primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within its rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

A "good" temperature is whatever the manufacturer decided it should be, for our cars 210°F is "normal", 180° would be cold and require retuning.

The "guy you know" is a dick, stop listening to him and start reading some decent books about internal combustion engines--Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals is the "bible"...

Last edited by cliffyk; 06-09-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Also, does it mix with any form of Glycol? Or are there specific glycol specifications?
There is absolutely no need to use any additives in the coolant, use the manufacturer's recommended product and flush it every 50k miles or so.

The first thing you should do if you buy a used car is change all the fluids; coolant, motor oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and differential. I don't care if the PO told you did it yesterday--do it anyway...
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at it's (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's it's primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within it's rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

A "good" temperature is whatever the manufacturer decided it should be, for our cars 210°F is "normal", 180° would be cold and require retuning.

The "guy you know" is a dick, stop listening to him and start reading some decent books about internal combustion engines--Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals is the "bible"...
LOL! Alright, well, I'm buying it. I understand that you don't like additives like these, so let me waste my money. My friend knows quite a bit, and has quite the beastly Cobra that is in very good health. Royal Purple wouldn't make this stuff if it didn't do anything.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I need to do a coolant flush and change the tranny fluid. Thanks for reminding me. lol
Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I hope this friend isn't the same one who told you HIDs were hard to install...

And yes, companies do make products that don't work as advertised. It's called making money off of people who don't know any better. cliffyk knows his s***. I would listen to him.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

LOL! Alright, well, I'm buying it. I understand that you don't like additives like these, so let me waste my money. My friend knows quite a bit, and has quite the beastly Cobra that is in very good health. Royal Purple wouldn't make this stuff if it didn't do anything.
OK...
Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The thermostat maintains the engine temperature at it's (the thermostat's) nominal rating; that's it's primary function. It opens or closes--more or less, not completely--to keep the temperature within it's rated range. There is nothing that any additive to the coolant could possibly do to change that.

Spoken like a true hardass. Cliff if FTW
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^Werd...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple "Purple Ice"