4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

progressive or non progressive springs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default progressive or non progressive springs??

what do you guys think would be the better option for me. i currently have eibach pro kit installed but the rear pass is starting to sag and its annoying the hell out of me. time to raise it alittle anyway. so i was looking into the ford racing b and c springs. c's are progressive and b's are non progressive. i love to take corners alittle quicker than i should so what springs handle best. weighing the options progressive will be alittle more dd friendly, but would i be able to tell a diff performance wise??
Old 06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The reason for the progressive springs is they go up in spring rate the harder they are pushed. So for DD, progressive might be better for you. I'd go linear myself but thats just my taste.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I have progressive in the rear and plan on switching to linear. The progressive in the back ride REALLY nice. It's really damn comfortable. Not what a sports car should feel like, but i like it.

The fronts are linear and i like them a lot as well with their 680 spring rating...

C springs are linear i thought.. and B are progressive, I think you mixed it up

I should be picking up some mach 1 springs today Can't wait to cut them in the back.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I have progressive in the rear and plan on switching to linear. The progressive in the back ride REALLY nice. It's really damn comfortable. Not what a sports car should feel like, but i like it.

The fronts are linear and i like them a lot as well with their 680 spring rating...

C springs are linear i thought.. and B are progressive, I think you mixed it up

I should be picking up some mach 1 springs today Can't wait to cut them in the back.
you are correct b's are linear my bad. anyway why are you going linear? just so you feel every bump or because they handle better?? i'm not opposed to bumpin around if the car handles better. but if there is no benifit then a smoother ride is preferable
Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Ya know, my reason is different than most guys here. I plan on cutting the mach 1 springs (linear) that i just picked up because it will give me the ride height that i want without spending a crazy amount on coilovers. As long as you cut the springs correctly, and they have a sufficient spring rating to support the lowering without bottoming out, there really isn't a problem (assuming the shocks/struts can handle it). You should never cut a progressive spring though..

But my car kind of bounces around and i think it's due to the progressive springs in the rear. They are nice to ride around with, but i feel like it's too low of a spring rating UNTIL i start taking corners hard. That's when the progressive spring really starts to work and show itself off...

I kind of want a firmer ride, but without breaking my back. I think this will do the trick.. The lowering that i can achieve with cutting a linear mach 1 spring will far outweigh the comfort of the progressive springs that i have on there now i think. So it's worth it for me to switch out to a linear. If i don't like it, i can always go back to the progressives...

Progressives WILL ride nicer than linears... How much better? I'll find out soon...