4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

PI Head and cam advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
slo97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
http://www.modularheadshop.com/Orderinfo.htm

Call or email. Or you can PM him on here under nickmckinney
bro u have the same set up im after lol did u go with the stage two cams that required stock springs, valves, and no degree i think they have a 110 lsa instead of a 108 lsa thats what im looking at now i think instead of the comp 270 i just wanna bolt on and go and have no worrys did u have head work done
Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slo97
bro u have the same set up im after lol did u go with the stage two cams that required stock springs, valves, and no degree i think they have a 110 lsa instead of a 108 lsa thats what im looking at now i think instead of the comp 270 i just wanna bolt on and go and have no worrys did u have head work done
Yep, i got the ones with 110 lsa. I didn't change the springs or valves, but i did degree them to make sure they were spot on. I didn't touch the heads either.

I think you'll like them. They sound pretty beefy for what they are, and make good power till around 6200-6400 rpm.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

+1 on mhs. good ****
Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Just a couple pennies here...I kinda find it funny that Comp Cams has been making cams from mild to wild for all types of engines for almost every major manufacturer since like the dawn of time yet everyone is saying that the guys at CMS and MHS know their (you know what)...haha don't get me wrong, I'm sure those guys are experts, but being an expert among experts is not a good argument. I've never ever heard anything bad about Comp Cams products or their pricing at all from anyone...so what is a legitimate reason for the OP to choose CMS or MHS over Comp Cams besides personal preference...??
Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Arent MHS specifically made for our modular motors? I mean thats there like specialty. I had comp cams stage one in my last motor I have nothing against them. From what i hear MHS is supposed to be better.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Here's what it boils down to from my research and what i've seen: No doubt Comp makes some good cams for the mod motors, but the thing is that they are not "specific" to any one application. Which in turn just makes them decent for all around use. Now, CMS and MHS make several grinds that are more specific to a particular application. Meaning n/a specific, blower specific, stock or modified specific, etc...see what i'm getting at? Logically, it stands to reason that the more specific you get with the cam specs (based on your particular goal) the better it will be in terms of overall performance.

Last edited by mrtstang; 07-06-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

How much better are they, 5hp, 10hp...?? Is the performance gain worth the extra 50-75 bucks...?? I understand they specialize in mods which makes them more tuned to our cars. I'm just saying that Comp also has R&D, and focused teams. More importantly, they have experience with our engines because they been making cams for us since the beginning. Crower Cams can build a cam to your own specs and I'm inclined to think that Comp does that also (not 100% sure about Comp). I'll admit that MHS and CMS pound for pound can probably squeeze out more power tho...I'd personally stick with Comp for no other reason than the fact that I personally like them...haha!!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM
slo97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Yep, i got the ones with 110 lsa. I didn't change the springs or valves, but i did degree them to make sure they were spot on. I didn't touch the heads either.

I think you'll like them. They sound pretty beefy for what they are, and make good power till around 6200-6400 rpm.
did they also degree them for u and build ur heads or did u just buy their cams and take them some where and have them degreed and built....I also want a lil head work done to but dang its high. i appreciate all ur help bro and im good with not making any more power after 6200
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
How much better are they, 5hp, 10hp...?? Is the performance gain worth the extra 50-75 bucks...?? I understand they specialize in mods which makes them more tuned to our cars. I'm just saying that Comp also has R&D, and focused teams. More importantly, they have experience with our engines because they been making cams for us since the beginning. Crower Cams can build a cam to your own specs and I'm inclined to think that Comp does that also (not 100% sure about Comp). I'll admit that MHS and CMS pound for pound can probably squeeze out more power tho...I'd personally stick with Comp for no other reason than the fact that I personally like them...haha!!
Actually, guys like Comp and Crower are not on the cutting edge technology when it comes to cam specs for the basic mod motor setup IMO. It's been proven that the stock (and modified in some cases) PI head mod motors responds better to a tighter LSA, and more intake biased specs than the typical off the shelf Comp and Crower grinds that are provided. That's why CMS, Hitech, and now MHS are doing so well with your basic PI head mod motors. Sure anyone can grind you whatever specs you want, but when it comes down to what's best needed for your ride, i would rather go with a company that's done the most research for that particular application.

Again i'm not downing Comp or Crower, it's just that they're not at the forefront on this particular area when it comes to our particular cars.

This is just my opinion of course.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slo97
did they also degree them for u and build ur heads or did u just buy their cams and take them some where and have them degreed and built....I also want a lil head work done to but dang its high. i appreciate all ur help bro and im good with not making any more power after 6200
Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: PI Head and cam advice