4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

scam?....please help gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM
ihaveafordgt

Default scam?....please help gear

i am getting 4.10's installed for 350 which in my area is very cheap everywhere else is 750+ he claims that i have choice motives or richmond? is there anyway that the install could be cheap and not well done? but most of all i wanted to know how to tell if the gears are 4.10/3.73/3.90, etc. please help!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Does sound cheap.
I bet they won't change all the parts.
Like bearings for one .

Plus IMO I wouldn't get anything but FRPP Gears over the other brands you stated.

Just me.

Good Luck
repzard

Last edited by Repzard; 07-21-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 PM
ihaveafordgt

should i ask him if he will be changing it out or would he lie bout it? also he says he doing it in 5 hours... sounds very fast.... please help cause i planning on getting it sunday
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Five hours is about right, as to the gears Motive and Richmond are both suppliers for Ford. Times are tough right now and his fellow may need the work to pay his mortgage.

As to "how do you tell", count the teeth on the ring and pinion and do the math...

Here's a chart of the normally used tooth counts:

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM
ihaveafordgt

thank you that was extremely helpful, just seems fishey how cheap it is but you right times are tough....but still....
Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That's $70 an hour, if his overhead is low and there isn't much business then it's a good deal for both of you.

I have a retired Navy Chief friend that lives out in the country West of Jacksonville, has a 40 x 60 metal building with two hoists (and two AC Cobras), that I use for heavy lifting work. He is very competent and we work together to get things done, he recently charged me $250 to do my clutch--"pays for his habit" he told me--pointing to the Cobras and the Gran Torino he's restoring...
Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Does sound cheap.
I bet they won't change all the parts.
Like bearings for one .

Plus IMO I wouldn't get anything but FRPP Gears over the other brands you stated.

Just me.

Good Luck
repzard
motive is completely fine. motive makes gears for ford, people who order FRPP gears likely get them in a motive box. as for richmond cliffy said they supply to ford, but general consensus is another brand would be better. not saying they are bad, but they may just be harder to properly shim or something. richmonds seem to have a problem with whining, whatever the cause may be (faulty manufacturing or faulty installation, or both). but you hear far less people griping about FRPP and motive gears versus richmonds.

and like said, while he may be charging a lower price it doesnt always mean its not legit. i would ask him about what kind of warranty he will provide on this, if any. is he going to replace ALL seals, bearings, etc... get it in writing too, i usually do just for peace of mind. make your decision based on that. if he tries to skate around your questions, find someone else. an honest mechanic will answer your questions unless he has something to hide.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 07-22-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Explosive

I work at a Ford dealer and we have a guy who will do gear swaps for $100 Now to give you an idea, he can have a ring and pinion out and a the new one in within 20 minutes and it will not howl or anything. So if the guy has a lot of experience 5 hours should be plenty of time to go over the whole thing.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yeah, those bad ol' Motives are made in Italy--WTF do the Italians know about making performance cars?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Yeah, those bad ol' Motives are made in Italy--WTF do the Italians know about making performance cars?
no one said anything bad about motives. my gears are motives.

Quick Reply: scam?....please help gear