4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cops turn a 03 Cobra into a undercover police car.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Jstang15

they can do it .. they can do anything.. ive seen an 2001 cobra undercover.. i hope i dont run across any i got the 03 sonic blue cobra in the garage..
Old 07-29-2010, 01:03 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

In hawaii, almost all the cop cars are privately owned vehicles that just have a little blue light on the roof. There are quite a few termies running around out there as cop cars
Old 07-29-2010, 01:22 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

LOL, i work in law enforcement and that's FLAT OUT CHICKEN **** to do that. Can it be done? Yes, but what's the alternative? Write the person a ticket, arrest them and have the car towed or suspend the DL for 90 days. You don't take away what someone has worked hard for. Street Racing is a dumb move, but that is crossing the line
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
2012FAST50

I live in Charlotte and let me tell you that they WILL take your car. It's happened to old friends of mine. Charlotte has lots of unmarked cars. Unmarked chargers, couple of cobras, camaros, etc.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:05 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

To resurrect a zombie thread, let me first say that we've been doing Q cars for years. Most were bought (at cost) from dealers, and some bought used from private owners who didn't know they were going to be put to work. And there are the ones we get from other agencies in other states, where they have become too well known to use for stakeouts or stealth traffic enforcement. That probably happened to the Cobra mentioned in the original article.

We refused a couple of DARE cars. We don't run confiscated cars because sometimes someone remembers them from the original owners, and this can cause problems, especially with dopemobiles.

That said, I would point out that street racing is STUPID and DANGEROUS. If the only way to stop someone from doing it is to take away their toys, so be it.

The attitude of the cop in the original article was INTENTIONAL twisting of the knife, to get people to think how much they don't want to be the next "hot rod donor."
Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
right, yet you need to consider the fact that when a person gets a DUI, they don't lose their car now do they?
Most drunks drive at or BELOW the speed limit. The only reason they're dangerous is because their vision, judgment and reaction times are degraded.

Street racers are, by definition, driving well above the speed limit, closer to the mechanical limits of their vehicles (steering, braking, traction), so if anything goes wrong, it tends to go VERY wrong, quickly, and involves more bystanders.

BTW, some places, a DUI in fact CAN result in loss of the vehicle.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
exactly. if everyone who street raced had half a brain this law wouldnt even exist.
They DO have half a brain.

That's the problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
There has to be a clause saying that the police can confiscate a vehicle if its involved in street racing. If there is the clause or law pertaining to it I can't see how they can take you're vehicle. Half of the older generation police and government officials were the same kids back in the 60s and 70s that were street racing muscle cars for years with no consequences just like DUIs or DWIs, now its a social taboo when its no different from back then except for cars having more safety features. Sometimes the human race and society makes me sick, if it was up to me the world would be like Mad Max. Id be flying in my blown aussi falcon and whipping tina turners *** in a 40 foot cage for running my childhood with god awful 80s dance/soul/techno whatever kind of music people called it.
This made my day!