4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cops turn a 03 Cobra into a undercover police car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ill probably get flammed with this one. I don't agree with anyone loosing their car over a street race, but it is the law and I know at face value people will call it a stupid law. But say people street racing, regardless of the cars or people driving them, loose control of their car and smash into a 35 year old single mom driving her 6 year old daughter home from school and the mother and or daughter gets killed? or a 8 year old boy runs infront of the street and you're driving to fast to stop intime and hit the child and he dies. The bottom line is someone died, someone lost a child or a child lost a parent or a wife lost a husband, now the law doesn't seem stupid especially for the ones that lost a loved one.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Ill probably get flammed with this one. I don't agree with anyone loosing their car over a street race, but it is the law and I know at face value people will call it a stupid law. But say people street racing, regardless of the cars or people driving them, loose control of their car and smash into a 35 year old single mom driving her 6 year old daughter home from school and the mother and or daughter gets killed? or a 8 year old boy runs infront of the street and you're driving to fast to stop intime and hit the child and he dies. The bottom line is someone died, someone lost a child or a child lost a parent or a wife lost a husband, now the law doesn't seem stupid especially for the ones that lost a loved one.
exactly. if everyone who street raced had half a brain this law wouldnt even exist. the problem is there are too many morons that race in areas that have traffic and cause horrific accidents. seems like everyone thinks lawslike this are unfair untill someone they care for gets killed.

to put it in perspective: not everyone who is driving drunk is going to drive like a fool and kill someone, but it happens more often than not, same reason that these laws are so strict.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
exactly. if everyone who street raced had half a brain this law wouldnt even exist. the problem is there are too many morons that race in areas that have traffic and cause horrific accidents. seems like everyone thinks lawslike this are unfair untill someone they care for gets killed.

to put it in perspective: not everyone who is driving drunk is going to drive like a fool and kill someone, but it happens more often than not, same reason that these laws are so strict.

right, yet you need to consider the fact that when a person gets a DUI, they don't lose their car now do they? In fact, first offenders don't even get their license suspended or do jail time. Often they get a slap on the wrist, some community service maybe.

I do agree with the fact that the whole ideal of street racing has been completely corrupted since it's hayday in the 60's/70's..now everyone in their mom's minvan and brothers corrola has watched the Flipping Fast&Queerious movies and thinks they are a fuccing racecar driver now. Back in the day, you built a car, you raced it, and that was that.

Now, the population has risen 10 fold, town's are now cities, cities are all but impossible to drive in, cops are required to have video cameras in their cruisers, traffic lights have cameras, airplanes catch you speeding, helicopters catch you speeding, and you just plain can NOT out run Motorola...

All of these things combined makes a premeditated street race practically impossible, and an impromptu race just as bad. I no longer attempt to race anyone in anything on the street, it's just not worth the risk.

ALL of that being said, I still completely disagree that the person should lose his car and still have to pay for it. Impound it, sure. Take away his license for 90 days, OK. Give him jail time if he kills someone, ya I get it. But their is no damned reason for them to take his car from him-AND rub salt in the wound by still making him pay the bank note....

Then again, I don't agree with undercover police officers catching speeder's at all. I think it's wrong. It used to be illegal for officer's to even sit and shoot radar without all of their lights on-not anymore...Bullchit, all of it..
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

i occasionally street race.

hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LMFAO^^^^
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
darknight04
1st Gear Member

So lets say one of these guys are stuck with the bank note on these cars and he decides to act like a rational person and says screw the cops and the banks note and said cop showes up on the guys door step and ask why he hasnt paid the bank.. I sure as hell wouldnt pay it, not one cent of it. credit is smashed but so is everything else because the guy cant get to work now.. They going to take him to jail for not paying the car note? KMA!! I dont race anymore but I did my fair share of it when I was young and if I was as stupid now as I was then I would run like hell to keep my car. Law enforcement is to empowered now and most feel they are above the law, witch is why I have NO love for any of them that abuse there position.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by darknight04
So lets say one of these guys are stuck with the bank note on these cars and he decides to act like a rational person and says screw the cops and the banks note and said cop showes up on the guys door step and ask why he hasnt paid the bank.. I sure as hell wouldnt pay it, not one cent of it. credit is smashed but so is everything else because the guy cant get to work now.. They going to take him to jail for not paying the car note? KMA!! I dont race anymore but I did my fair share of it when I was young and if I was as stupid now as I was then I would run like hell to keep my car. Law enforcement is to empowered now and most feel they are above the law, witch is why I have NO love for any of them that abuse there position.
Could someone please explain to me the law? I can't seem to find it via google. I want to know to what extent the Police have the power and by which law gives them the right. Because imo i think there was more to it than just street racing (i maybe wrong... idk the entire story). I just want to know the details of the law. UP here this is no such law. Are we then saying that it depends on state by state>?

Thanks for whom ever could dish the correct details.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Whoa wait a second. I saw above that people don't get their license suspended of jail time for their first DUI? That is definitely determined state by state. The law around DUI convictions is certainly different between states. I know for a fact that when you get your first DUI in Connecticut, it is an automatic four month suspension of your license. For example, if you get convicted of a DUI in the state of Virginia, it is 4 months and a weekend in jail.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darknight04
im sorry, but this has to be coming from the mouth of a dumbass.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
I'm sure they were penalized in a court of law and then the cars were takin away. There is not way (constitutionally) that the police department can just take those two cars. The owners were most likely reimbursed somehow........of course thats prob after a huge *** fine haha
+1 this is what i think too

Quick Reply: Cops turn a 03 Cobra into a undercover police car.