4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

After Day 1, V-1 Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Im not really waiting for the parts, but the money for the parts. I still need a smaller pulley, powerpipe, injectors, bracket, and bov. Im still trying to decide if I should go with some type of aftermarket bov or just go with the plastic black one that vortech makes.

What size cxracing intercooler do you have?
let me know if your interested i have a vortech bov and a 3.25 6 ribbed pulley,was pushing 13lbs with that and a powerpipe.As far as the intercooler i didnt think it would fit behind the bumper support,i had to cut mine to,you shouldve loooked to see if they make a shorter one instead,i think the only problem with putting the 31 inch on the bumper support is that the bumper gets pushed down a bit.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

hey man sorry I didn't get back to you my phone died at the car show (taking lots of pics, lol).

That vacuum line connects to a already in-place vacuum line on the passenger side of the car. Look beside your throttle body for a red, small hose. You might see one or two of them. That is the vacuum line that I tapped into for my BOV.

Are you trying to decide where to mount your bumper support? I am 100% for where I mounted mine... it allows my fogs to go in, its looks good under the car/through the bumper. Did not have to relocate anything. Just throwing it out there! Ppl say the tranny lines are easy to relocate, but I still like the space between my radiator+intercooler so they both can breathe!

PS.

mustang51js, you have one of the best looking "fronts" I have seen I think. I love the way that intercooler fits your bumper PERFECT. what size cooler is that? I wonder if mine would look the same w/ the same bumper....

Last edited by 0949er; 08-28-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

great thread! i have a used vortech kit back home im trying to finish piecing together when i get back to the states. i hope some of you can share your knowlege with me when the time comes. i am planning on running an i/c setup (vegas heat) and dont really know what all is involved. my biggest worry is tapping the pan honestly. the thought of it gives me chills lol. i was told the unit is a v2sq but im am going to verify with vortech when i get home and possibly get it rebuilt. i would like to upgrade my clutch and ditch the stock k for tubular and coilovers up front before i start with the s/c install... i wish i could see the pics in this thread good luck op doesnt sound like your having that bad of a time with the install
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

PS.

mustang51js, you have one of the best looking "fronts" I have seen I think. I love the way that intercooler fits your bumper PERFECT. what size cooler is that? I wonder if mine would look the same w/ the same bumper....[/QUOTE]

thanks, yeah yours should look the same, i have the same size all you have and put it in the same spot you did,the only difference from yours and mine is a cut the foam the size of the intercooler when installing and then glued it back on but notched it out to get more surface area, if your looking for a front bumper look on ebay,i found mine painted for around 350 shipped. Just make sure it has fog light inserts on it or you will need to get them. I agree with you i wouldnt put the intercooler next to the radiator, it kind of defeats the purpose,it will get hot from the radiator,and cutting the bumper isnt hard at all just takes more time if you dont have the right tools.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

OK, so oil feed is installed, no problems with that. The oil drain, however, still won't go in. I just cannot get this hole to tap. Are there any other ways around this? what else could I do? Keep in mind the hole is already there, just cannot get it to thread....

Once that is done and on, I can change the oil, and be left with very little work to finish this thing!!!

--0949er, I see a couple red hoses, they go into the plenum and split and go each way. is that what your talking about? They don't seem big enough for that TEE to fit into... They also seem to rigid to stretch around the TEE....

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

I know this might sound crazy, but if you can fit a drill in there some how, you can put the tap in the drill and do it that way. Thats what I always do and seem to have great results.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang51js
PS.

mustang51js, you have one of the best looking "fronts" I have seen I think. I love the way that intercooler fits your bumper PERFECT. what size cooler is that? I wonder if mine would look the same w/ the same bumper....
thanks, yeah yours should look the same, i have the same size all you have and put it in the same spot you did,the only difference from yours and mine is a cut the foam the size of the intercooler when installing and then glued it back on but notched it out to get more surface area, if your looking for a front bumper look on ebay,i found mine painted for around 350 shipped. Just make sure it has fog light inserts on it or you will need to get them. I agree with you i wouldnt put the intercooler next to the radiator, it kind of defeats the purpose,it will get hot from the radiator,and cutting the bumper isnt hard at all just takes more time if you dont have the right tools.[/QUOTE]

Im not scared of cutting the bumper as I have all the tools to do it, but my real fear is the safety of the car. I feel that if I crash the car without that on it, then I think it would be much less safer. But hey, I guess i could cut it and reinforce it some how. I have a welder. I could just do that i guess.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

i cant fit a drill in there. already tried that. tried lots of things, haha.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

If you have a pneumatic ratchet that hooks up to a compressor, that might work for the tight space. Just get theright size socket to attach the tap. Thats worked for me before as well.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

^unfortunately no access to that type of tool.....

Quick Reply: After Day 1, V-1 Install