4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default 4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!

I posted this on another site which has a few guys looking to do the same swap, but I figured I'd share the love over here for anyone interested. Here is what I have so far in the parts department for doing my manual to automatic swap using a 4r70w out of a 2001 Mustang GT. I am still waiting on my converter, flex-plate, cooler, and a few other parts to come in, but here is what I have so far!! There are some small parts that I forgot to take pics of such as the cable bracket, shift position sensor, converter access plate, and some minor hardware. I'll post pics of that stuff when I can.

Here's the trans with the automatic cross member already installed on it for shipping purposes. It isn't new, but with only 47k on the clock, should be more than capable enough to take some abuse after I upgrade a few things inside.

Just a quick pic of the input shaft and bell housing area.

In this pic, you'll see the auto brake pedal assembly, automatic transmission wiring harness, automatic shifter assembly, dipstick and tube, shift and kickdown cables, engine trans separator plate, and steering column trim (which lacks the little push button key release crap found on the 5-speed models)

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to change your driveshaft to do this swap. You just need the front yoke from the auto DS (good to know if you already hav an aluminum DS like I do)

I have already hooked up the new computer to read it with my tuning software. I needed to contact Sniper to get the template for the new computer in order for the Delta Force software to work with it. Swapping out to an automatic computer is required for this swap. I don't care what anyone says. The manual computer does not have the capability to control the 4r70w.

Like I said before, I am still waiting on some parts to come in before the swap actually begins. But it is getting very close. I'll be sure to update and post as much info as possible to help out others that may be considering doing the swap themselves.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Full setup list wanted! lol
Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 PM
kylepierce

can some help me with a question
Old 09-16-2010, 02:24 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Full setup list wanted! lol
If everything is purchased separately.......here you go. You will also need a transmission cooler and lines unless you plan on switching out to an automatic radiator and running the lines through that instead.

Parts List
Transmission 4R70W
Torque Converter I chose a custom 9.5" from Dirtydog performance
Flexplate 8-bolt or 6-bolt depending on what crank you have
ECM F5SB-14A624
Dipstick Tube XR3Z-7A228-BA
Dipstick XR3Z-7A020-BA
Driveshaft Yoke 1R3Z-4841-EA
Shifter Assembly 1R3Z-7210-AA
Trans Shift Cable XR3Z-7E395-AA
Transmission Crossmember and Isolator 2R3Z-6068-FJ
Trans Kickdown Cable Bracket XR3Z-7B229-AA
Shift Interlock Cable F6ZZ-3F719-AC
Shift Lever Stud E43Z-7B415-A
Plug for the Mechanical Speed Sensor F2UZ-7H183-A
Speed Sensor 1L3Z-7H103-AB
Digital Range Transmission Sensor F7LZ-7F293-AB. Also called shift position sensor-
make sure you get the kit with the spacers and bolts.
99-04 GT 4R70W Transmission Wiring Harness 1R3Z-7C078-BA
Brake Pedal Assembly 3R3Z-2455-AA
Shifter Bezel 3R3Z-6304567-AAB

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 09-16-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I highly suggest just finding someone who is currently or already has swapped out to a manual transmission and just buying all the automatic parts from them. This can also be done just by finding a donor car at a junk yard or something and pulling all the parts off. I got basically everything for the swap for $415 shipped from a guy selling the swap on ebay.

a dummed down list of major components required is:

transmission
torque converter
flexplate
auto computer
auto wiring harness
auto shifter
shifter/kickdown cables
front yoke off auto DS
auto cross member

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 09-16-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Congrats man! You will love the 4r70w. One thing you don't need to worry about if you don't want is you won't need to put in a new pedal assembly. Just take out the clutch pedal and loop those two wires together and your golden.

I'm not sure who told you but like you said you just need a new DS yoke, not the whole driveshaft. I put in a new one just because it was easier. And you're also correct in needing an auto ECU as when my tuner tried using my manual ECU it wasn't working properly.

If you have any questions about swapping stuff over let me know. I'm sure you will have it handled though.

Also, let me know how you get the console piece that goes around the shifter to fit on with the new auto shifter. Mine is just wide open without the piece lol
Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

And what are you doing for trans cooler lines? I'm looking for some used factory hard lines and then just running rubber hose the rest of the way to the converter. I'm not using the radiator for cooling the trans fluid.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

I think someday when i do this swap I am just going to go with a manual valve body automatic, and not mess with the computer and kick down and such. But at that point it will pretty much be a track car only with a few trips on the street.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
And what are you doing for trans cooler lines? I'm looking for some used factory hard lines and then just running rubber hose the rest of the way to the converter. I'm not using the radiator for cooling the trans fluid.
I will run the stock steel lines up to the front of the car and run rubber from there up to the cooler. The more steel line you can use the better, since it dissipates heat far better than using just rubber hose all the way up.

I am most likely going to run a ratchet shifter like a quarter stick with my manual shift boot over it or maybe the hammer shifter. But starting out, I will be using the stock shifter that looks like it belongs in a caravan. You also can loop those wires or install the little plug that comes off an automatic car instead of the clutch pedal position sensor. Looks like this:

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
I think someday when i do this swap I am just going to go with a manual valve body automatic, and not mess with the computer and kick down and such. But at that point it will pretty much be a track car only with a few trips on the street.
If that is your goal, then go with a c-4 swap and skip the 4r70w. It's lighter, cheaper (including to build), and everything is readily available without hardcore searching since it has been around for like twice as long as even the AOD.

The main advantage to running the 4r70w is the ability for computer control and overdrive. You have the ability to set and modify shift-points and firmness in the tune. If you are just bypassing those features, there is no reason to have one over a c-4. And OD is definitely not gonna be a worry for a strictly track car.

Choices of Valve Bodies is another reason to go with the c-4. You mentioned going with a manual VB (im guessing possibly a trans-brake too) which a good reliable one is not currently available for the 4r70w.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Yes that was my future plan,C4 with manual valve body and transbrake.

Quick Reply: 4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!