4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What are these connectors for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
rockarmymedic

Default What are these connectors for?

Ive got a 96 GT 4.6, 5 speed. Under the car in the trans tunnel, at the back of the trans there are 2 plugs hanging there with nothing to plug them into. I have looked the trans over completely as well as the entire underside back half and have found nothing to plug them into. I just got the GT this past weekend and am going through it before running it hard.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Possibly rear o2 sensors.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:06 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, sounds like your rear o2's are missing. What mods does your car have on it already?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM
rockarmymedic

I just got it and Im still going through it but so fan i know its got some huge cams, cold air intake, 90mm MAF and TB. BBK X pipe, 2 chamber flows, 3.73 Yukon gears and 31 spline Yukon akles, B&M ripper, MSD Coils, and to top all of the good stuff off its got a brand new radiator for an Automatic so it doesnt fit the mounts. I got under the car after you guys helped me and say that the rear O2's are not in the pipe and that the ports for the rear O2's are facing up and are located directly under the double hump of the trans cross member. Wouldnt the lack of the O2's make the engine light come on our are the rear ones minimal in comparison to the fronts. Additionally the car has the highest flow cats out there. They are in the trunk so they are flowing great. LOL
Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Wait what??
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

it wouldnt make the light come on if you have a tune for it. But the connectors for the rear o2's are a pink or purplish color and the other one is blue. ARe these the ones that arent plugged in? or are you saying theres no o2's in there?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Wait what??
Aka he has no cats, haha
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 AM
rockarmymedic

There are no O2's on the back half of the cars exhaust. The plugs are one blue and one purple. Im not sure if it has a tune on it or not. Im going to pull the computer out tonight and see if it has a chip added to it. Thanks again for all of your knowledge sharing. Im in the Army stationed at Ft Polk La and the closest speed shop is 93 miles. So Im on my own.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

so you have two holes in your midpipe with nothing in them? And just cause you dont have a chip doesnt mean its not tuned.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
rockarmymedic

Thats correct. The two holes for the rear O2's are directly under the humps on the trans cross member. They are capped so their is no exhaust leak there. I didnt see a chip in the comp but one of my friends thinks the car may have a tune on it. I am trying to find a set of headers for it as the Dr side has a port on it for an oxygen pipe but their is no pipe so its an open port. I have looked at it and in order to get a cap on the port Im almost going to have to pull the engine so I fig if im going that far might as well change the headers to good ones. Know anyone whos got any?

Quick Reply: What are these connectors for?