4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Test drove the 5.0...not impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Wow..wasn't expecting that. I think if you made it a lil louder itd be a lil better...i mean a stock 99-04 gt doesn't feel too sporty either lol.

BUt i mean most of us haven't even driven one so you know more then we do haha.

I just can't get over...Full exhaust, CAI, tune...425hp!!! Thats insane!
I whole heartedly disagree.

I did get to toy around with the new 5.0 a few nights ago at the fair, but no test drive. I was actually pleasantly surprised, and the shifter didn't feel half bad, though I would immediately stick the MGW short throw in. To me, it felt more like a sports car than the 05-09 on the inside, and though I prefer the exterior styling on the 05-09s to the current... it is slowly growing on me. I'm not sure the seats would do such a good job keeping me in place during hard turns, but I need to drive one to be sure.

At any rate, I'm sticking to SN95s; lighter, nimble, proven.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
You make it sound like 425hp is alot lol, it really is int that much.
425HP+ BONE STOCK is a lot when you consider that it meets all emissions, gets decent fuel mileage, drives VERY smoothly, and comes with a full factory waranty. This 5.0 will be an AWESOME starting point for some nice power once the aftermarket really hits.

It also beats the New Camaro in every performance category!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

^ Damn straight. Not to mention, we're talking about street cars here...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I wanna drive a new 5.0hh

and a sixxer stang. I figure they won't beat up the occupants, but idunnolol I see them everywhere.....
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scooter3
Ok, since the wife was on board about the 5.0 I decided to run down to the dealership and check it out. They had several so I picked a 6 speed. Nothing fancy on the outside or inside. The car does have some nice power and it is smooth, but the style was flat and interior was no different then any other new car. It did not seem like a "sports" car. My 03' seems more like a sports car then this did and has more style IMO. I would be better off finding a low mileage Cobra. Just my 2 cents, thought I would share my experience.
Yeah .... Im gonna politely call BS !

The Coyote's haul major butt and out handle the 2V GT platform by far unless the 2V GT has major ground work which the only suspension mods I see in your sig are well none .

Last edited by Mr Graystang; 10-03-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The 5.0 Coyote is a real power house of an engine, considering a factory stock engine. Just add a tune and you are approaching what the Camaro makes factory stock, plus you still have the lighter S197 body compared to the heavier Camaro SS

The 4.6 is a proven engine since it has been around for over a decade and there are tons of mods you can do to it to pump out 600 RWHP easily.
The Coyote, just actually hitting the streets, does not have that benefit. It does have some benefits since it has actually existed on race tracks, but it did not have the street aftermarket support. Give it time, and people will pull a ton more HP out of it.

The Coyote WILL include Direct Injection from the factory.
The Coyote WILL include forced induction, again, from the factory. It will be supercharged, and it might even see EcoBoost twin turbo.
The Coyote WILL see better fuel mileage.

There is so much more room for this engine to grow. Ford just left these tricks up their sleeves and will pull them out when the competition (namely Chevy) begins to pull out their big guns.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

he never said anything along those lines. he said he FEELS more like he's in a sports car sitting in his 03, than in the new one. that doesnt necessarily have to have to be because of power or handling.

i can tell what he's trying to say. i test drove a 3v when i was thinking about trading up and i felt like i was riding around in a buick (felt like a huge boat on wheels and the interior just felt "off"). it was noticably quicker and all that don't get me wrong, but i just couldnt feel myself in that car, i like the way the new edge feels inside.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

The only way I can see the new edge GT feeling more like a sports car over the coyote is the smaller front interior.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I would trade 2 of my cars for a new 5.0 mustang. The damn things run mid 12s BONE STOCK and from what I hear blow even heavily modded new edges out of the water from a handling standpoint as well. People disagree on the styling especially when it comes to the rear end, but it is very hard to argue the performance factor.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
he never said anything along those lines. he said he FEELS more like he's in a sports car sitting in his 03, than in the new one. that doesnt necessarily have to have to be because of power or handling.

i can tell what he's trying to say. i test drove a 3v when i was thinking about trading up and i felt like i was riding around in a buick (felt like a huge boat on wheels and the interior just felt "off"). it was noticably quicker and all that don't get me wrong, but i just couldnt feel myself in that car, i like the way the new edge feels inside.
I understand what both of you are saying but we know that people are gonna argue the stats into the ground 5.0 vs new edge. I havent driven a 5.0 yet but its a given that it has more power than the NE but it may just be a different feel and he's more comfortable with the feel of the new edge. I use to love the power of my wifes 06 GTO before she got rid of it and it could dust my GT but the car just had a different more road comfort/luxury type feel to it so i liked the ride of my gt better when im out playing around but i liked hers for the road trips.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 5.0...not impressed.