4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

BBK Throttle body/ plenum combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Default BBK Throttle body/ plenum combo

Well its about that time for me to buy another "performance" mod before winter gets here and I was wondering if anyone has bought this yet and have any inputs. Will this mod show any gains for just a bolt on car or will it just help the engine breathe better? Its seems like such a good deal other than buying both parts seperate and spending more mulah
Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Acufab combo or else Trick Flow combo.

Then along with that the two different combo packs either come with 70mm or 75mm. Otherwise the mm does go higher but you'd have to buy the t/b & plenum seperately. The 75mm is a good all-around choice for but n/a as well as s/c engines. 70mm is fine too but you'd want at least 75mm if you ever are wanting to add a supercharger.
Yes I think it worth the money to get this. I mean you aren't going to see a ton but a lil boost of a pick up. If you haven't gotten a tuner yet i'd invest it 1 before a t/b or plenum This way then you'd get the most out of your t/b & plenum in terms of gains. I don't know the exact number around 10 hp?

Last edited by sonicx; 10-03-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I have the BBK 75mm throttle body and plenum on my GT. Couldnt tell you exact gains, but the butt dyno felt a difference.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

remember a TB is only a glorified valve. The stock one does fine at WOT under 5000rpm or so, but above that it holds power back. With that mod you'll most gain upper rpm power and maybe even lose a bit down low. Most people report low end gains because of the increase throttle response which isn't the same thing (you are basically getting to WOT sooner with less pedal movement) but the engine can only suck in so much air. So at low rpm you can be flooring it without flooring it (if that makes since). If you aren't getting into boost the most you'll need is 70mm. any more and you'll lose velocity charge of the air flowing through the TB. Think of a massive valve, with a given amount of air going though it, its moving very slow. with a smaller valve the air speeds up and in a way is "injected" in...

Given all this, the 70mm to 75mm isn't a big deal and we are talking about 1hp or so which is the same with the argument about x vs h exhaust....

Summary:
70mm or 75mm will be fine, but don't expect gains under 5000 or so rpm. =P

EDIT:
I noticed you dont have gears in your mod list... do gears WAYYY before plenum/tb. trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by stangalator; 10-03-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The stock plenum is the weak link in the OEM intake--here are Accufab's numbers and my annotations/comments...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

I personally noticed a big difference with the BBK 78mm 1 pc tb/plenum. Probably not a lot if any by way of horsepower, but throttle repsonse is much better. I did also notice at the track that the best shift point for my car moved up about 400 rpm before starting to fade out of the best power curve.

No I don't have any data to back this up just my opinion which the OP asked for.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:12 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

on an NA car, any of them are fine. accufab is proven the best combo, and by best i mean like 1 hp more than others on an NA car. i personally dont like anything made by BBK but i know alot of ppl are running the tb/plen because of the price and i havent seen any complaints.

i bought an accufab used, wasnt about to pay 450$ for 5 horsepower.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
sonicx
speed'n

IDK if i'd trust using BBK products like their u/d pullies or their exhaust but i for one say the BBK 70mm has been golden. Some 20K miles later still going strong. Hopefully another 100K+++ longer.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

On a N/A 4.6L mustang I think the 78mm throttle body is massive
and overkill.I could see mustang enthusiasts lossing a small
amount of lowend torque with this 78mm BBK intake plenum /
throttle body combo.
For a N/A 4.6L mustang a 70mm throttle body flows plenty of air.
The biggest throttle body I would use on a N/A 4.6L mustang
would be a 70mm throttle body.
I have a Trickflow plenum with matching Trickflow 70mm throttle body
and I noticed alittle better throttle responce and more mid range and top
end horsepower.Overall I'm happy with my purchase Trickflow makes
some quality parts.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

def consider the 78mm if you have cams or if you are going F/I. I still think that it is the best deal for a T/B & Plenum, but there are plenty of people who say it is overkill. Overkill or not, it is still the best deal you will find on a new T/B & Plenum.

Quick Reply: BBK Throttle body/ plenum combo