4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bullet cams/Fidanza adjustable cam gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by 10inch Terror
Please don't throw out info like that if you don't know the correct answer. I have had BOTH Stage 1 N/A and Stage 2 N/A pass in Cali.
I'm glad some one form Ca came here! Hmm maybe I'll get em, its 500 obo for new fidanza adjustable cam gears and slightly used Bullet stage 1 cams.
Originally Posted by boduke0220
dude buy my hitechs!
Hmm maybe, how much? And cam gears?

BTW I only need these two parts for an install, right?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Please don't throw out info like that if you don't know the correct answer. I have had BOTH Stage 1 N/A and Stage 2 N/A pass in Cali.
If you want to run the risk of running cams in nazifornia, be my guest. But if you get the fail, have fun with that one. I'd rather get a blower kit with a carb stamp on it than do something that might/might not pass depending on how good your tune is. Plus to have an emissions tune done just means more money spent on a tune. And Jim, no offense but if they pass Cali emissions why don't you get them carb certified and advertise it that they are emissions legal?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
If you want to run the risk of running cams in nazifornia, be my guest. But if you get the fail, have fun with that one. I'd rather get a blower kit with a carb stamp on it than do something that might/might not pass depending on how good your tune is. Plus to have an emissions tune done just means more money spent on a tune. And Jim, no offense but if they pass Cali emissions why don't you get them carb certified and advertise it that they are emissions legal?
Im just saying your blanket statement that "they won't pass" is incorrect. As far as CARB, not worth any amount of time or effort. Im not here to make emmisions legal parts, could care less. Im here to make power. It's not up to the cams to pass, it's up to the tuner. You can have a set of Stage 1 pass with one tuner and another identical set fail with another tuner.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 AM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
I'm glad some one form Ca came here! Hmm maybe I'll get em, its 500 obo for new fidanza adjustable cam gears and slightly used Bullet stage 1 cams.

I'm not from Cali, those are my cams from my company. These are CMS Stage 1 N/A cams you are talking about correct? Bullet doesn't have cams, they grind them for companies like myself (CMS) and nick (MHS).
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Forget the filing, TFS adjustable crank gears is the only way to roll and easy on the wallet.

I wouldn't use a set of Fidanza/Comp/Patriot adjustable gears if you gave them to me. Thats a blown motor waiting to happen.
Yes, the TF adjustable gear is a great piece and easy on the wallet. And I agree, I never use ANY of the adjustable cam gears currently offered. Been there and seen the results....
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Forget the filing, TFS adjustable crank gears is the only way to roll and easy on the wallet.

I wouldn't use a set of Fidanza/Comp/Patriot adjustable gears if you gave them to me. Thats a blown motor waiting to happen.
I know someone that blew their motor with Comp adj gears
Yes, the TF adjustable gear is a great piece and easy on the wallet. And I agree, I never use ANY of the adjustable cam gears currently offered. Been there and seen the results....
I use Cloyes, good quality
Also the set Modular Performance offer are decent too
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I'm not from Cali, those are my cams from my company. These are CMS Stage 1 N/A cams you are talking about correct? Bullet doesn't have cams, they grind them for companies like myself (CMS) and nick (MHS).
+1, getting carb approval is a ridiculous process. It's worthwhile for large companies that will sell large quantities of the same component of various vehicles or on parts that will fetch a good amount of money for each item sold. For a set of cams that run around $550 and don't get purchased in high volumes, it is hard to recoup the price of having them approved. Although, just having a CARB number can sell a lot of units. I'm fairly confident that a stage 1 N/A cams would pass emissions on the factory tune. You would have a lot of Cali guys buying cams if you had a CARB approved grind like the 5.0 and LS guys do.

If you are in CA and want cams, all you need is a decent tuner to write a smog friendly tune. It's not that hard at all to make a "smog tune" even for a very aggressive setup. The biggest thing is making sure that everything visible is CARB approved.

The last time I had my car smogged the tech's exact words were "Well, it passed just fine, but your car sure shakes a lot at idle. You might want to look into that."
Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Hahahah Tbird that is hysterical....so did you check out that weird shake during idle? lol
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Hahahah Tbird that is hysterical....so did you check out that weird shake during idle? lol
LOL, the smog tech went over my vacuum lines and said, "well everything is connected, so it must be something else." I played dumb and was like "yeah, that's weird, I guess I'll have to take it in and have them trouble shoot it."

Then I payed for the inspection, went out to my car and flashed my street tune back on the vehicle while sitting in their parking lot and took off. I know where my car is going next time LOL. Probably will still have a mysterious shake at idle!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If he asks about cams...just say the previous owner said the car was stock. lol

Quick Reply: Bullet cams/Fidanza adjustable cam gears