4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got an SCT SF3 Tuner with a Bama tune! a few questions also.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Default Got an SCT SF3 Tuner with a Bama tune! a few questions also.

and its sick! i picked it up from a friend, got a bama tune on it and its amazing. i got it for 130$. for now i just loaded the 87 performance tune, and boy can you feel it. Its allot quicker in the bottom-mid range. i love it. it revs quicker and everything. im gonna run this tank empty then fill her up with 91 and then load the 91 performance tune. i cant wait. i just had a few questions, how do i adjust for the 18 inch wheels i have on the car? i didnt really play with it that much my buddy just uploaded it for me and i drove it home. it was kinda wet out so i only punched it a few times. also, since my traction controll switch broke, is there any way in the tuner i can change it to off? maybe near the wheel size settings?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I tell people this all the time, but many still cling to the notion that a tune isn't needed when all you have are a "few bolt-ons".

You have done just what needs to be done to wake up a new-edge:

1. Open up the exhaust;
2. Get a tuner, even the most basic of base tunes will be much better than the lame OEM tune;

You need to the drive gears next, 3.73 or 4.10 depending on your goals...

What size tires are you running? If they have the same outside diameter as the stock tires no change is needed...
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

idk if im gonna do gears or what. this will most likely hold me over for a little while. if i were to add power, i would skip the bull**** and just do the 1500$ vortech kit. but i most likely wont do that anytime soon, maybe a few years down the road. if i were to do gears i would go with 4.10s because im not planning on going FI anytime soon.

im runnning 265-35-18s, im not sure if the old ones are the same diameter or what. i looked up a revs.mile calculator and it gave me 797, does that sound right?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Those are about 1.5% smaller than the stock tire, 797 is the correct number assuming they were perfectly round when holding up the car--they are not of course because the weight of the car flattens out the contact patch.

I have found that using 97% of the "perfectly round" value works best--773 for your 265/35-18s.

The settings band on my "How fast can I go in each gear?" calculator, will let you enter the tire size and it will then calculate the loaded diameter and revolutions per mile. These calculations use the 97% factor...
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

nice pickup budders!! 4.10s next!!!!! The bassani catback that you loved at the show may be for sale soon... lol
Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

773 it is! Thanks man, ill check that out
Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
nice pickup budders!! 4.10s next!!!!! The bassani catback that you loved at the show may be for sale soon... lol
Haha maybe if i have an extra 600 layin around for gears + install.. id rather spend that on shocks and struts.. but lemme know when your sellin that exhaust. What would be an estimated price be?

I also put the 91 tune on and its sick!! The motor runs so much smoother, dosnt hesitate or anything. It really throws u back in your seat now. What do you think my estimated rwhp is around now with the sct sf3 tuner, CAI, and full exhaust??
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well with those exact same mods last summer I made 250rwhp with a slipping clutch. And your tune is probably better than mine is anyways. I'd guesstimate around 255-260rwhp.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Those are about 1.5% smaller than the stock tire, 797 is the correct number assuming they were perfectly round when holding up the car--they are not of course because the weight of the car flattens out the contact patch.

I have found that using 97% of the "perfectly round" value works best--773 for your 265/35-18s.

The settings band on my "How fast can I go in each gear?" calculator, will let you enter the tire size and it will then calculate the loaded diameter and revolutions per mile. These calculations use the 97% factor...
Wouldn't it be 3% higher not lower? Car with a smaller tire will have more revolutions per mile then a larger one. Therefore, with less air (smaller tire) should be 3% higher instead of lower. He should set it at 821

Last edited by Kerns; 10-08-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You are correct, I have been having problems with numbers of late--this getting old stuff is catching up with me, and the medications have my head screwed up...

821/822 is proper value; thank you for setting me straight!

The calculator at my website will provide the correct value...

Quick Reply: Got an SCT SF3 Tuner with a Bama tune! a few questions also.