4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So...I started the motor with the heads/cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Default So...I started the motor with the heads/cams

I have to fix some exhaust leaks and get a new pcv valve in order to get it to run right and hear the motor clearly but there is definately some noise coming from the drivers side head. I am hoping that its just the lash adjusters being really noisy since they have been dry for a few months and that it will go away. How long does it typically take for lash adjuster noise to go away?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

i recently replaced all 32 (4v motor) of my lash adjusters and the sound had pretty much stopped when the engine was warm.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Lovely....pray for me lol
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

What heads (more importantly what intake valve was used) and what cams did you install?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Oh we're praying lol...
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

It was sxynerds old set up. And I had the cams degreed properly. They are patriot stages 2 heads with upgraded parts and cms 2.5 blower cams
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Oh ok...well then idk...id say you should be good to go..but then im not a mechanic by any means. lol

But that should be a great set up. You should probably look into a forged bottom end...cuz you're gonna be pushin a lot more power now!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:05 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

It will take few miles mine took almost like 200 until the noise went away since the cams and springs were dry fro 4 months.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Oh ok...well then idk...id say you should be good to go..but then im not a mechanic by any means. lol

But that should be a great set up. You should probably look into a forged bottom end...cuz you're gonna be pushin a lot more power now!
Been there done that lol, bottom end is good for like 1000 hp. Teksid block, cobra crank, DSS rods and pistons.

I took it for a spin and the car is still making that kinda knock-like noise it made last time which is why I pulled the motor and got it looked at in the first place. So it must be in the trans since that is the only thing that i haven't changed. Its throwing 3 fuel related codes, one for the sending unit which is why its reading below E on the gauge. It must be stuck from sitting for so long. The other two are P0453 FTP sensor circuit and P0190 fuel rail pressure sensor so I am gonna have to fool around with those
Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

I will be honest in that I install new lash adjusters dry and if the motor isn't totally silent in about 3 seconds after the initial start there is a problem somewhere. Either the lash adjuster is sticking or something is clearancing itself if it takes more than few seconds for any noises to go away.

Quick Reply: So...I started the motor with the heads/cams