4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

kenne bell diff gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Stop taking things personal.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

BIGTOM - get the right tire on there and some suspension work and see how you like the 4.10s. And after that if you are planning on going for even more power, I'd go w/ 3.55s.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Haha always goes like this.

I guess take fuzypurpledice's advice...see how ya like it...if ya don't...get the 3.73-3.55 w/e you want.

haha sorry purp had to try it out
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

id go 3.73 MAX. my 1st gear is already short in my car, when i launch at the track its not long before i shift, iff i was making 440rwtq at 2k it would be rediculous.

bottom line is, can you make it hook with a steeper gear? well yea..get some slicks
will it be annoying shifting all the time? probably so, thats why cobras came with the longer gear T56 and 3.55's....
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
You go right ahead say what you want. Anyone thats been on here this long should know the rule of thumb is that you should run 4.10's or higher with n/a cars, 3.90 or lower for centri cars, and 3.73's or lower for twin screw cars. You dont need 4.10's in a twin screw car at all. You get the instant torque at any rpm so its not like it has a power band or anything that you have to get up into. whether youre at 2000rpm or 5500rpm, you'll be making the same amount of torque pretty much so its kinda pointless to have all that gear and have you top out your car at 110 at the top of 4th when you could be topping out at 140 and getting traction to get there in a timely manor. I'd bet you would even say that 3.55's for a turbo car would be wrong too...

But seeing as I know nothing at all and you are all-knowing, i guess none of that is valid info.
Hey, I know basically nothing about running turbo cars. Won't even touch that one. But I have experience running 4.10s and running them with a blower. I'm pretty sure you don't. By your consensus that 4.10s or higher for N/A cars, then he should be just fine cause around 350rwhp is about the limit of a streetable N/A build.

If you ask anyone with a blower and 350rwhp or more that doesn't have a decent tire/susp combo, they will tell you about how 1st and 2nd gear are basically useless art WOT. It doesn't matter the type of blower, it doesn't matter the gear ratio, the guy is not gonna hook on street tires.

The guy is going to have trouble hooking his car now and even more-so in the future when he raises the boost no matter what gear ratio he has if he doesn't get some decent suspension and tires on there. Makes much more sense to address those thing sfirst and see how the gears treat him than just swapping out gears until he finds a combination that works.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

+1 to Tbirdgay.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
+1 to Tbirdgay.
Thanks.....I think. LOL
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

LOL I added the g-a-y at the end bc you don't return PMs.....but its ok anyway because i still agree with you! lmao.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Hey, I know basically nothing about running turbo cars. Won't even touch that one. But I have experience running 4.10s and running them with a blower. I'm pretty sure you don't. By your consensus that 4.10s or higher for N/A cars, then he should be just fine cause around 350rwhp is about the limit of a streetable N/A build.

If you ask anyone with a blower and 350rwhp or more that doesn't have a decent tire/susp combo, they will tell you about how 1st and 2nd gear are basically useless art WOT. It doesn't matter the type of blower, it doesn't matter the gear ratio, the guy is not gonna hook on street tires.

The guy is going to have trouble hooking his car now and even more-so in the future when he raises the boost no matter what gear ratio he has if he doesn't get some decent suspension and tires on there. Makes much more sense to address those thing sfirst and see how the gears treat him than just swapping out gears until he finds a combination that works.
Hahahaha thats funny. For a second there you made it sound like you were running a kenne bell with 4.10's when you're always talking about how you sold your centri because you wanted a twin screw. Everyone knows that TS blowers and centri blowers are two VERY different animals. Period. So you having run a centri blower with 4.10's is just about the same as knowing nothing about a turbo build. Twin screw equals instant boost, centri's equal some boost now and building boost til redline. Youre not pulling 400rwtq throughout the rpm band in a centri car when your car makes 400rwtq peak. A twin screw car peaks and maintains throughout the rpm band til redline. Two very different blower setups.

I'm not arguing suspension and tires need to be addressed, but gears also MUST be addressed. Like boduke said, termies came with 3.55's and a 2.97 1st gear ratio for a reason...instant torque is not fun with street tires and steep gears like 4.10's. Our cars have a 3.38 1st gear ratio and then you add on top of that the 4.10's...thats like having a terminator T56 using higher than a 4.56 rear gear with stock power! Do you think that is smart. Hell no thats not smart! Even us running a 3.55 rear gear is like a cobra running 4.10's! And I do have experience with that as pretty much all my mustang friends around my area have termies and the one is strugling hooking up on slicks at the track with spherical/spherical control arms(team z) and coilovers, and thats an upper pulley only car. making 480rwhp

Also, my friend with a 2.76 upper pulley and bolt-ons, which is a 475rwhp car hooks up just fine with stock gears and no suspension mods besides cut springs and street tires. So street tires can handle the abuse of decent hp you just have to go out and buy decent tires and not go suckyhomos just because they are cheap.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Hey Tbirdgay, just make sure that while you are responding to Teej, you include the response to the bone I have to pick with you.....LOL

Quick Reply: kenne bell diff gears