4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hi-tech stage II cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 AM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

All my CMS cams are on sale, and I also offer a memebers discount in ADDITION to the sale price. The CMS Stage 1 n/a can be used with stock springs, the Stage 2 N/A need a valvespring upgrade. PM me if you need the code for the discount. It makes for a great deal on new cams.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Blood
So just do valve springs and degree em eh? That simple of a fix?
I don't know if degreeing them will guarantee you no PTVC. Although, most of the times I see PTVC with these cams people do just drop them in and go. I can't remember how much clearance Nick said you have with these cams but I want to say it's very little, as in close to hitting.

But if you are wanting to put in cams that have very little clearance I wouldn't think twice about putting CMS Stage 2 cams in over the Hitechs. For a N/A I would take the 108IC over the, what, 112-113IC of the Hitechs?

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 10-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I vote CMS stage 2s with for like $530 after the disctount!!!!!!!!! That's what I would do!!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I don't know if degreeing them will guarantee you no PTVC. Although, most of the times I see PTVC with these cams people do just drop them in and go. I can't remember how much clearance Nick said you have with these cams but I want to say it's very little, as in close to hitting.

But if you are wanting to put in cams that have very little clearance I wouldn't think twice about putting CMS Stage 2 cams in over the Hitechs. For a N/A I would take the 108IC over the, what, 112-113IC of the Hitechs?
Nick said 0.001 clearance I think, but if you got it degreed I am sure it would be a little more. I just dont wanna have to go through hell with a cam, I cant find sound clips or charts for any other cams besides hitech
Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

PTVC I have acronyms what does it mean!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

piston to valve clearance if im correct
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
it makes its a little tougher when your tires arent grabbing til your quarter of the way down the track. i could always convert it to bitchstick
Having crappy traction and spinning half-way down the track would only make your trap speed higher. Spinning off the line and then getting traction later down the track usually amounts to a higher trap speed, unless you just let out of the throttle for a good amount.

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Before questioning and criticizing Kugz's car, why don't you check out his signature. He's running on BBK springs (thanks to Hossys discount) and 315 Sumitomo's. If you've ever seen any of his track videos, it looks like the damn car spins through third on the track. So he's running on shlt suspension and probably would be easier to launch his tires on a patch of ice.

Tbird - on that ~110mph run that you had, what was your suspension/tire setup? Now I know you were referring to me when you called out Kugz's car and why people keep talking about it. I never mentioned his runs on the track. I think they are horrible, and you can ask him yourself, I bust his ***** about it everyday over the phone and ask him why he'd even post that. Personally, I think he's waiting to get some suspension and a real tire and post up a real number w/ the same mods.
Two days ago, Mitch (1slo85) posted that for every tenth of a second lower that your 60ft time is, expect 2 tenths of a second off your 1/4 mile. Take that into the equation, and Kugz's pathetic run that he has posted in his sig, is a 12.7-12.8 with the same type of 60ft that you have in your sig.....and he's on 3.55s. He's relatively inexperienced at the track (sorry Kugz, so am I lol), has awful suspension for a racing setup, and awful tires (and he says it himself). Now these are all things that he's told me he is going to address this winter, so how much do you value a good tire and suspension in the 1/4?

I recommend MHS 100% in the OPs case because for one, look how cost conscious he is....Do we know if he have much experience installing cams? Are we to assume that he knows how to check for PTV clearance, and degree the cams on by himself? Not to talk down on Hitechs but if I were going the cammed route, a 50/50 love/hate split, would NOT do it for me.

Just my .02.
I wasn't calling you out in particular because I have heard many people reference his car. Yes, a better 60ft will no doubt get you a better ET. Mind you a 2.1 is not bad for streets. If he had better traction he would probably trap lower, which trap speed is a better indicator of power. I even said before that his ET wasn't bad for a set of street tires. I just see almost bone stock GTs trapping 103 and have to wonder what is going on with his setup.

But to answer your question, I have trapped 108-109mph probably over 30 times with this car. And they were all done spinning on broken rear suspension and MT DRs.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 10-29-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Also everyone on youtube says "Built motor" Wtf do they mean they got a whole new motor, or its been modified. Im lost on how everyone could afford to get a whole new motor.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:06 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blood
Nick said 0.001 clearance I think, but if you got it degreed I am sure it would be a little more. I just dont wanna have to go through hell with a cam, I cant find sound clips or charts for any other cams besides hitech
That .001 IS with degreeing them IIRC...
Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Oh thanks, and everyone says N/A cam? Is that like a custom grind? Does anyone think I should do a custom grind?

Quick Reply: Hi-tech stage II cam