4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lets Play: What came out of my intake manifold!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good to me.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

What kind of metal are they?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I have no clue what that is. It's not piston rings those pieces are way to thick to be them plus there is no way they are making back to the intake. It's got to be pat of the supercharger. But I would think if something that size came out there would defiantly be some strange noises coming for the charger.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:41 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Check your headunit too man. I dont know WTF that could possibly be. Looks like metal?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:00 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I don't think it can be parts of the supercharger, 1. It would be making a wicked noise. 2. I dont think that metal would make it from the head unit to the intake because peices that size would probably get tied up in the intercooler. Theres no way its a ring due to the thickness of those peices and its not shapped to be a valve spring. Maybe someone didn't like u and chucnked some metal into you're intake tube. Did you check the inside of the throttle body maybe its peices form the butterfly assembly????????? Im stumped.

Last edited by uberstang1; 11-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

You also said it was in a pool of oil... which has me thinking that you might have a recirculation issue as well... You shouldn't have a pool of oil in your intake manifold.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ive got a raging clue right now!

/south park reference

I have literally no idea what that is man. Are you running your PCV system still or are you running it into a catch can or venting it? Have you checked your procharger oil and regular oil lately? Might want to look into those two areas for answers. Its bound to be part of the procharger. Id bet its part of a lubricated part of the blower seeing that along with the shards came oil, or vice versa. But definitely check the procharger out and change the blower oil.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I agree with all that feel the pieces must have come in through the TB/upper plenum, and have been pondering the shape of them since the I first saw the thread.

In came to me this morning that one place I have seen rectangular section metal of those dimensions used is in spiral wire reinforced heavy duty flexible tubing. Round wire is used more often than flat in these products; however I have seen flat wire used in larger diameter and high end tubes where wall thickness is an issue.

Is there any such tubing used in your intake plumbing, or might a PO have used such tubing?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

starting to think more and more that this quite possibly is something that has just been sitting in the intake for who knows how long. ive seen people pull wierder stuff out of their intakes than that. shocking how often some idiot drops something down there and either doesnt notice or doesnt care.

and as far as what you said cliffy, i know vortech uses a flexible tube for part of the intake for their blowers, could something like that be used in the tubing? its hard to imagine that would pass through the intercooler though. but would explain why everything is bent to **** if it had to pass through the blower.

BTW op, are the fins on the blower nicked at all?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

When I read the title of this thread I thought you had a dead chipmunk or something haha. Anyways I'd just shake this $hit outta the s/c intake manifold and intake. Otheriwse I have no idea lol.

Quick Reply: Lets Play: What came out of my intake manifold!