4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lets Play: What came out of my intake manifold!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by sailorflavor
Alright guys, new question, I ordered some new piston rings and I got file fit rings...do I need to file these? I'm really confused on how to do these....I have always in the past just put the rings on...
You need to put each ring, by itself, into the cylinder in which it will be installed and push it down into the bore an inch or so using the piston top. Then measure the end-gap with feeler gauges. If the end gap is within spec then you do not need to file the end(s), otherwise you do.

Here are the end-gap (and the other ring/piston) specs:

And it does need to be done or you may find yourself rebuilding another engine...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Awesome, thanks cliffy
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Also, when filing go slowly--you can make the gap larger by removing material from the ring end, but you cannot make the gap smaller by putting the filings back on...

Did you ever figure out what the metal stuff was? Was it pieces of the piston rings?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Also, when filing go slowly--you can make the gap larger by removing material from the ring end, but you cannot make the gap smaller by putting the filings back on...

Did you ever figure out what the metal stuff was? Was it pieces of the piston rings?
Not yet, I still need to pull the old block out...is it easier with or without the tranny? Also, is it safe to use my jewelers files on the rings? It says 230 grit is preferred but my files are finer than that...

Last edited by sailorflavor; 09-02-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

come on guys, how do you not know what those little parts are!??!

FLUX CAPACITOR!!! DUH!!

you broke it
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Not yet, I still need to poul the old block out...is out easier with or without the tranny? Also, is out safe to use my jewelers files on the rings? It says 230 grit is preferred but my files are finer than that...
The jeweler's files may not be hard enough to cut the ring, when they say "230 grit" they are likely referring to a diamond or tungsten carbide file:

You may want to look into a hand powered ring grinder. Not at all expensive ($42 shipped), I have had one like this for years and years:

It makes getting the ends square and matched much easier than going at it freestyle. Get some old rings from somewhere and practice first...
Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

OMG you guys!!!! MMR is STILL machining my heads!!!! It has been a month now! WTF?! That is ok though, it gives me time to work on the short block I guess...:/
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Haha! My heads shipped from MMR TODAY!!! Super excited, they should be here at the beginning of next week!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Haha! My heads shipped from MMR TODAY!!! Super excited, they should be here at the beginning of next week!
Get that yellow beast back on the road! Damn yellow ones and blowing the engines...
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Haha yea I'm ready! And MMR it's sending me the window stickers in 3 colors two of each! That is a $30 value for free! imma put one on all my cars lol.

Quick Reply: Lets Play: What came out of my intake manifold!