4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

03-04 cobra clutch in an 02 gt

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

Default 03-04 cobra clutch in an 02 gt

good idea? bad idea? another clutc worth getting that will be reliable and have better-than-stock clamping force?

bolt-on 02 2v. stock clutch is starting to slip, and have a clutch job on my christmas list.

and would an aluminum flywheel be beneficial for drag use? help me get lower than a 13.7?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

not for drag racing. aluminum flywheel you will have to raise launch rpm up by at least 300rpm for not much gain up top. I'd not bother. Go billet steel if anything.

As far as 03 cobra clutch, not too terrible but there are better out there.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

centerforce dual friction, frpp throwout and pilot bearing, new clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster if you dont have those already.

/thread
Old 11-25-2010, 10:40 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

for the price you cant really beat the cobra clutch if you are not pushing alot of power
Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

is the centerforce dual friction OK for a bolt on car? i don't want TOO much clutch so i start breaking other things, or just i don't want a clutch that is way overrated for my power.

and would an aluminum flywheel help me get to the end of the 1/4 quicker by revving easier? or does it really not make much of a difference at all? i hear some people saying it does make a diff and some people say it doesn't, so just trying to cover all areas here!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by evanjp
is the centerforce dual friction OK for a bolt on car?
Yes a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is a excellent choice for any bolt on
mustang.When my Spec Stage 2 clutch disc failed at 5K miles I replaced it
with a brand new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from Peformance International.The petal pressure of this clutch is soft and is very comfortable
for daily driving.I love my Centerforce Dual Friction clutch it's the best clutch
I ever had! Compaired to stock you can really feel the difference in clamping
force with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch get one you will love it trust
me.I recommend getting a bullitt steel or cast iron flywheel don't get a
aluminum flywheel they are the worst choice for drag racing.Plan on purchasing a Centerforce throwout bearing,new pilot bearing,new Ford OEM
clutch cable.I really like the Steeda clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster with
the Ford OEM clutch cable great combo I think.Make sure you use a Ford OEM clutch cable they are the strongest and most durable.I wouldn't get a
aftermarket adjustable clutch cable because they are notorious for breaking,
stretching,and snapping on us Ford Mustang enthusiasts.

www.performanceintl.com
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM
2tonterror
1st Gear Member

Just did a clutch in my stock 02 GT vert this summer. Fidenza alum flywheel and a King Cobra clutch. The engine def spins up quicker. Had to get used to the new launch. With BFG D/R's the car gets 1.99 / 2.02 60 fts. The car picked up a little on both ends. The good thing about the Fidenza is that the steel friction plate is replaceable. Still good feel on the pedal. Good choice for the money
Old 11-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Definitely get the frpp clutch cable.. I bought an aftermarket one and it stretched in less than a month...threw in other aftermarket one in it and lasted while. Just changed it last month for the frpp one and what a world of difference.

Car is built for auto x, centerforce df clutch alum flywheel mickey thompson drag radialsout of 13 runs at track wed 9 we're 1.6 60ft's 2-1.5's and 2- 1.8's.. rear has 4.10's. Future buy will be adj upper and lower control arms and springs ...

Have ~ 40 passes at track this month alone. Been a busy month!!!

I am a fan of the centerforce.clutch but don't see the point if your almost stock.. your 3650 will go before you need a GOOD clutch.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ryan86272; 11-26-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

If he purchases a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch it will last alot longer
than the stock clutch or any stock replacement clutch.Also the Centerforce
Dual Friction clutch will give him room to grow for the future if he wants to
add more power.I am a huge fan of the Centerforce clutches and I think
it is a great investment for any bolt on Ford Mustang.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I have an 03 Cobra clutch sitting here waiting to go in. The 03 cobra clutch from what I've read/felt in a car which belongs to a buddy of mine who is running one is probably the best clutch upgrade unless you are pushing tons of power. Even then, there are people pushing 500-600hp/tq to the wheels with this clutch and no problems. I can't wait to get mine in....the pedal feel is supposed to be like stock and there are not problems with chatter or whatever. IMO you really can't beat OEM stuff if it gets the job done and even more.

For the flywheel, I took up on Cliffyks recommendation and bought a Ralco RZ chromoly lightened flywheel. It's all one-piece of chromoly and weighs like 16.5 pounds as opposed to the stock 26.5 and about 12 for aluminum. So you get the lightweight for the top end without it being too light causing problems off the line.

There was a magazine article that did a back-to-back test between aluminium and steel flywheels and the benefits of lightweight flywheel reving up outweighed the cons of the slightly crappier launch. Basically aluminum = better ET.

I heard replacable friction plates often don't sit perfectly flat on flywheels and that can be cause problems.

Last edited by StriderTacticaL; 11-26-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 03-04 cobra clutch in an 02 gt