Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdscwd View Post
Who does your tuning? The shift kit may be part of the problem. Most shift kits including the transgo kits accomplish a nice hard shift by jacking up the line pressure instead of widening the feed holes in the valve body to fill the clutches faster. I know my transgo kit shifs hard, but it takes a long time to complete the shifts. There are also parameters that can be modified in a computer controlled transmission such as torque reduction during shifts to help extent the life of your trans. That shift kit might be doing more harm than good.
thanks I'll look into that. This may be the problem (also causes my tranny to get very hot esp. in summer).
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
99 gt vert, auto, 50 lbs. inj., 2800 stall, transgo stage III shift kit, 3.55 gear, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Comp Cams blower cams, forged internals with 18.1 cc dished pistons (8:1 CR), 75 mm TB, CAI, MSD Ig. coils, coated long tube headers w/offroad pipes, eibach pro damper, SCT Livewire tuner, Saleen Series IV SC w/ 2.8" pulley, Chicane intercooler, LFP Heat Exchanger, and Nitto 555 drag radials. 398 rwhp / 342 rwtq.
00_buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to a_penquin Send a message via MSN to a_penquin Send a message via Yahoo to a_penquin Send a message via Skype™ to a_penquin

Im betting the shift kit in combination with the heat is causing the failures (plus your 6k shifts). Heat is a big enemy of just about any component. I would figure you would have a good transmission cooler with something built like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterWolf View Post
Getting Lambo doors on a Mustang is like coming out of the closet, sure you mite suprise a few people but at the end of the day your still gay......
If your sick of "whats my HP" threads, tell them to shut the **** up or feed ridiculous numbers.
a_penquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_buck View Post
lol, it wasn't purposely done. When I floor my car the whip lash sometimes throws your body in the seat and if your hand is lazily resting on the shifter then you instinctively pull back on it (shifting into 1st). It's a B&M hammer shifter, not the stock one. Oh and btw I love the shift kit. I run times that cars with higher hp can't even run (about a 12 flat 1/4) and I can attribute that to the transmission.
Ok i understand now haha but ok cool where did you get your trans stuff from? om looking for stall and a bigger shift kit, Im only using a jr shift kit now

dwtjr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtjr3 View Post
Ok i understand now haha but ok cool where did you get your trans stuff from? om looking for stall and a bigger shift kit, Im only using a jr shift kit now
I looked at a site that sold performance trannys and bought the parts they used for mine. I believe I copied the AOD Dominator. I can't remember but it was something like that. All parts came from online, mostly ebay (even the stall). Don't waste money on a 200-300 dollar stall trust me I had one and it was about like having a stock one. Get a 700 dollar stall or don't bother.
99 gt vert, auto, 50 lbs. inj., 2800 stall, transgo stage III shift kit, 3.55 gear, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Comp Cams blower cams, forged internals with 18.1 cc dished pistons (8:1 CR), 75 mm TB, CAI, MSD Ig. coils, coated long tube headers w/offroad pipes, eibach pro damper, SCT Livewire tuner, Saleen Series IV SC w/ 2.8" pulley, Chicane intercooler, LFP Heat Exchanger, and Nitto 555 drag radials. 398 rwhp / 342 rwtq.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #15
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 04 Black GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_buck View Post
I looked at a site that sold performance trannys and bought the parts they used for mine. I believe I copied the AOD Dominator. I can't remember but it was something like that. All parts came from online, mostly ebay (even the stall). Don't waste money on a 200-300 dollar stall trust me I had one and it was about like having a stock one. Get a 700 dollar stall or don't bother.
How many frictions/steels did you fit into the forward and direct drums? What thickness of steels?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
How many frictions/steels did you fit into the forward and direct drums? What thickness of steels?
It was the Alto eagle set for the 4r70w which i believe utilizes 8 vs. the 6 stock setup. This time the builder took some of the alto clutches out and put some of the thicker ones in but still maintaining 8 but not so that they are tightly packed but a little play in them.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I don't see a trans cooler on that mod list. Do you have an additional cooler, or are you just running it through the radiator like stock?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I don't see a trans cooler on that mod list. Do you have an additional cooler, or are you just running it through the radiator like stock?
There is a trans cooler on the front
Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Better be a decent one. With close to 400rwhp, that converter is generating a lot of heat. Might want to look into a deep sump aluminum pan as well if you don't already have one.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Vehicle: 2001 Mustang GT

Get rid of those factory trans lines also. They suck.
WannaBeGearHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2800, 4r70, 4r70w, 86, harded, intermediate, kit, mustang, problems, programer, shaft, shift, stage, stub, torque