4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4R70W advice (or just advice in general)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Who does your tuning? The shift kit may be part of the problem. Most shift kits including the transgo kits accomplish a nice hard shift by jacking up the line pressure instead of widening the feed holes in the valve body to fill the clutches faster. I know my transgo kit shifs hard, but it takes a long time to complete the shifts. There are also parameters that can be modified in a computer controlled transmission such as torque reduction during shifts to help extent the life of your trans. That shift kit might be doing more harm than good.
thanks I'll look into that. This may be the problem (also causes my tranny to get very hot esp. in summer).
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Im betting the shift kit in combination with the heat is causing the failures (plus your 6k shifts). Heat is a big enemy of just about any component. I would figure you would have a good transmission cooler with something built like that.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00_buck
lol, it wasn't purposely done. When I floor my car the whip lash sometimes throws your body in the seat and if your hand is lazily resting on the shifter then you instinctively pull back on it (shifting into 1st). It's a B&M hammer shifter, not the stock one. Oh and btw I love the shift kit. I run times that cars with higher hp can't even run (about a 12 flat 1/4) and I can attribute that to the transmission.
Ok i understand now haha but ok cool where did you get your trans stuff from? om looking for stall and a bigger shift kit, Im only using a jr shift kit now
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
Ok i understand now haha but ok cool where did you get your trans stuff from? om looking for stall and a bigger shift kit, Im only using a jr shift kit now
I looked at a site that sold performance trannys and bought the parts they used for mine. I believe I copied the AOD Dominator. I can't remember but it was something like that. All parts came from online, mostly ebay (even the stall). Don't waste money on a 200-300 dollar stall trust me I had one and it was about like having a stock one. Get a 700 dollar stall or don't bother.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00_buck
I looked at a site that sold performance trannys and bought the parts they used for mine. I believe I copied the AOD Dominator. I can't remember but it was something like that. All parts came from online, mostly ebay (even the stall). Don't waste money on a 200-300 dollar stall trust me I had one and it was about like having a stock one. Get a 700 dollar stall or don't bother.
How many frictions/steels did you fit into the forward and direct drums? What thickness of steels?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

How many frictions/steels did you fit into the forward and direct drums? What thickness of steels?
It was the Alto eagle set for the 4r70w which i believe utilizes 8 vs. the 6 stock setup. This time the builder took some of the alto clutches out and put some of the thicker ones in but still maintaining 8 but not so that they are tightly packed but a little play in them.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I don't see a trans cooler on that mod list. Do you have an additional cooler, or are you just running it through the radiator like stock?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

I don't see a trans cooler on that mod list. Do you have an additional cooler, or are you just running it through the radiator like stock?
There is a trans cooler on the front
Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Better be a decent one. With close to 400rwhp, that converter is generating a lot of heat. Might want to look into a deep sump aluminum pan as well if you don't already have one.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Get rid of those factory trans lines also. They suck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4R70W advice (or just advice in general)