4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust Advice for New '03 Mustang GT owner

Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

To research exhaust you could always check out these sites.
www.youtube.com
www.mustangexhaust.com

I always liked the sound of Magnaflow personally!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Alicia_08

Here's the MN statute that I found:

169.69 MUFFLER.
"Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order which blends the exhaust noise into the overall vehicle noise and is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway. The exhaust system shall not emit or produce a sharp popping or crackling sound."

On a scale from 1-10 for a noise level, I'd say 8. I'd like to go as loud as I can without getting myself into too much trouble...

I'd like a deeper growl sound. And thanks for clarifying what a "cat back" is, it's not cheesy it's helpful!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it! I'll be ordering all of the parts and my brother offered to do all of the work on it, but neither of us have ever looked into exhaust systems before so it's a learning experience. I'll definitely looked at the websites you all suggested and try to figure it out from there.

Thank you!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Glad you found something you like. If it's one thing these Mustang 2v's do right, it's def exhaust. Besides the Fox Body 5.0, our Mustangs sound the best, IMO. Happy hunting
Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

go to www.americanmuscle.com/ to check out some brands and feedback from the people that bought the catbacks already. Then if you see some good feedback that you think fits what you're looking for, youtube it.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Markus989
1st Gear Member

Ok first off go x pipe screw the h and second you can't go wrong with magnaflow or slp I get compliments constantly with my setup and must say put a smile on your face in a tunnel for sure
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Markus989
Ok first off go x pipe screw the h and second you can't go wrong with magnaflow or slp I get compliments constantly with my setup and must say put a smile on your face in a tunnel for sure
I absolutely disagree with you, exhaust is an opinion of what sounds better, and to me an h-pipe with flowmaster 44 muffler sounds the best, I don't like the sound of magnaflow mufflers or any slp set up... doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them though

listen to what teej said, youtube is your friend, exhaust setups are completely your opinion of what sounds best and you may want to just start with a catback before you do a midpipe and/or headers

if you can get them from a reputable source, chances they're an alright product
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

+1 americanmuscle.com just added those exhaust clips. Wish they were up when I was shopping for one. As stated, youtube is a great help but also look at https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...oundclips.html

This will also give you some good examples of sound clips. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Goochstang
1st Gear Member

SSS exhaust. IMO sounds best on 2v's.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Some good comments!
Exhaust is absolutely a personal taste issue. Personally, I had an o/r X-pipe with two sets of chambered mufflers (for less than a week) and would NEVER suggest that combo to anyone. It is VERY raspy and sounded terrible (my opinion). If you want to run an o/r X-pipe, get straight thru mufflers.

Sound clips are better than nothing, but they cannot provide the true sound issues for you. One MAJOR issue is how your exhaust will sound from inside your car. Loud gets old real fast. Try to find some local mustangs, maybe at a local cruise-in, and listen to them in person.

Good luck in your quest for a sweet exhaust note!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Default stock H pipe, flowmaster 40s 2 chamber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARq1Hs0_iU

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice for New '03 Mustang GT owner