4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Special Forces Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Are there any updates for the Commando software?
No, as Commando is just a tool for editing tunes, it does not perform anything "automagically" based upon user selections from drop-down lists, etc.

All it does is open the tune file, extract the various parameters from it (using information about each values' type, location, size and structure) contained in the template file, and then present those values so that you can edit them.

Think of it as a sort of "tune processor" that lets you edit any tune--IF you have the "language" template. Updates occur in the templates, however by now the templates for our cars have been pretty much sorted out as the newest is over 6 tears old.

PM me the filename and modified date for your template (or the template file itself) and I can tell you if there is an updated version--you will have to get it from Delta Force (there is no, or a very minimal charge depending on how long you have owned Commando).
Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
I think my SF software is currently version 1.4. I selected 91 octane (that's what I run) and I also added 1.5* global and then added 0*/0.5*/1.0* in the low/mid/high spark tables per your recommendation in the past. Will the software upgrade for my version still bump a fixed amount of timing in the base tune regardless of octane selected, or will it now bump timing according to the octane selected as it does in version 2.x?

Also, with the upgraded software, would I be able to play with the smaller increments for injector slope settings? I remember in the past you said I should leave mine alone because the increments were too high. I vaguely remember you saying it had something to do with my 04 GT coming with 21# injectors unlike the 02 and below years coming with 19#'s which was better for the stock injector slope settings or something like that...

Thanks
The short answer is Yes, it will still bump the timing regardless of octane selection.

The upgrade for v1.x does not alter any of the algorithms, or built-in settings/rules, used to create tunes. It only alters the prompts on the fine tuning page so that they make more sense, and changes the range and increment of the PT and FT Global Fuel Modifiers to make them more useful.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It depends on what version of the SF software you have.

Version 1.x bumps the timing in the base tune, regardless of what octane you choose, by 2.0° globally and 1.0° to 1.5° in the rpm based ranges. Version 2.x does not do this and makes different timing changes according to the octane you select (this is due to the current prevalence of E-10/15 fuel).

Both versions lean out the Stabilised Open Loop Fuel table a bit, because the OEM tune is nearly pig-rich at WOT. Other changes in the base tune are mostly just basic "clean-up" stuff to remove some of the the limits and odd-settings in the stock tune.

When you get it post what version you have and I can provide more detail. There are updates available for both versions--check out these postings on the DF forum:

Click here for Special Forces v1.x upgrade;

Clicj here for Special Forces v2.x upgrade;

You also want to check out my SFDocumenter application that automates documentation of your tunes, saves those settings that SF does not between sessions, and includes the updates described above (mostly because I wrote them):

Click here for SFDocumenter v1.x;

Click here for SFDocumenter v2.x;

Both of these apps let you capture a report describing the settings you selected:

and provide a mechanism for saving and reloading the fine tuning and other settings that SF does not retain between sessions (because of legal liability issues):

You will find SF very easy to use, however as other's have stated you still need to know what you are doing--Greg Banish's book Engine Management: Advanced Tuning is a great place to start.

Here's more info about Special Forces from my mostly neglected blog...
This is the book i have currently:

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Injection.../dp/0837603013

Do you think it's worth me getting the one you reccomend as well? Or are they more or less the same thing?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

No, as Commando is just a tool for editing tunes, it does not perform anything "automagically" based upon user selections from drop-down lists, etc.

All it does is open the tune file, extract the various parameters from it (using information about each values' type, location, size and structure) contained in the template file, and then present those values so that you can edit them.

Think of it as a sort of "tune processor" that lets you edit any tune--IF you have the "language" template. Updates occur in the templates, however by now the templates for our cars have been pretty much sorted out as the newest is over 6 tears old.

PM me the filename and modified date for your template (or the template file itself) and I can tell you if there is an updated version--you will have to get it from Delta Force (there is no, or a very minimal charge depending on how long you have owned Commando).
I got my template very recently, so I doubt there is a newer version. I was just looking into all the automatic shifting parameters and it doesn't look like the stuff that I want to change is available for editing such as time to complete shifts (and maybe cause I just can't find it, but shift firmness). I have even made identical tunes except for the shift firmness in the SF software and compared the two with the changes higlighted and it shows no changes in the transmission section. I'm sure that SF is making the changes, but it's kind of a PITA to have to back and make changes with SF after dialing in the rest of the tune in Commando.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
I got my template very recently, so I doubt there is a newer version. I was just looking into all the automatic shifting parameters and it doesn't look like the stuff that I want to change is available for editing such as time to complete shifts (and maybe cause I just can't find it, but shift firmness). I have even made identical tunes except for the shift firmness in the SF software and compared the two with the changes higlighted and it shows no changes in the transmission section. I'm sure that SF is making the changes, but it's kind of a PITA to have to back and make changes with SF after dialing in the rest of the tune in Commando.
If you are not seeing changes in Commando, they were likely not made in the tune--if you like send me your boxcode and what tranny changes you like--I will build a tune in SF and examine it with Delta Force to see what's up.

PM me and I'll give you my email address...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

If you are not seeing changes in Commando, they were likely not made in the tune--if you like send me your boxcode and what tranny changes you like--I will build a tune in SF and examine it with Delta Force to see what's up.

PM me and I'll give you my email address...
Thanks cliffyk. For some reason, this time I was able to see the changes in trans pressure multiplier during the upshifts. All other previous attempts yielded no results. Probably user error.

I guess I still need to dig around a bit to figure out how to make the trans behave as I would like it to. Still have a lot of messing with the shift schedule at part throttle and the lockup schedule at full throttle. I can't believe the stock shift schedule at part throttle.....I'm in 3rd at like 20mph and it would go into OD at like 30-35 if I didn't turn it off almost every time I drive my car. I wish there was a way to have OD OFF be the default setting and then you could turn it on if you wanted to. Might be worth doing for someone with a little electrical expertise.....hint hint.....I know a few guys in the auto world that would buy that if they made it a kit.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Looks like I have version 2.3. I should be getting it in a few days, but then I'll be on vacation for a week so won't have time to really mess with anything until after