4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech + meth or IC Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Default Vortech + meth or IC Kenne Bell

If things work out for me in the near future, i'll be doing either a IC 2.1 KB or a Vortech S-Trim w/meth. Looking at running maybe around 10-11lbs of boost, and maybe 400-430 rwhp. I'm just curious what you all think would be better for my application. With the mods in my sig (minus the N20) which setup do you think would be better for me? Money won't be an issue when the time comes either. Do any of you know which setup would be more consistant, and suffer less possible heat soaking issues?

Overall, i enjoy a twin screw setup more, but with my 3.90's and pushing 400+ rwhp, i wonder if much of that enjoyment will be left in a smoke show.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Im tellin you right now Id trade my centri blower for a KB. I love the sound of my blower but KB ftmfw
Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

If money isnt an issue, get the KB and some 3.55's or 3.73's

a vortech/meth setup would be nasty though!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:35 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I had a vortech... it was cheap.. it did what it did... but I wasn't overly impressed. IMHO an appropriately sized turbo would be the most fun 400-500hp car around.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You say "better for my application"...what application is that? Also, are opposed to changing your gears?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

To me there is nothing that sounds better than a twin screw s/c. +1 on changing to lower gears though.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I had a vortech... it was cheap.. it did what it did... but I wasn't overly impressed. IMHO an appropriately sized turbo would be the most fun 400-500hp car around.
You hit the nail on the head. MRT, hellion single turbo kit would be my suggestion to you. I know its not in the choices, but I think it would be a great choice.

When you look at the prices of the kits, you see that the hellion single turbo kit is about $1000 more expensive, but you need to be aware of whats causing that.

With the hellion kit, you get full tubular front suspension from k-member to coilover kit and c/c plates.

Also, if you were to get the hellion turbo kit, you would be able to sell your current longtube headers and catted midpipe, which would help with funds, you could sell your mhs cams, which would be ideal in both instances because you will blow your boost out the exhaust ports with n/a cams on any f/i car, and use your stock cams, which work really well as either a blower cam or turbo cam.

Plus, as everyone knows, you'll make more power on less boost with the turbo kit than you would with either supercharger setup.

Just some food for thought MRT!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well, to be honest i really don't want to change the gears. For whatever reason i just really like them, and don't want to redo something that i've already done. With that being said i think i'd be a little worried with the KB and especially a tubo.

I never really considered a turbo setup. I'm not really familiar with them. That's something i might look more into though. Also from what my tuner tells me (and Nick) my MHS cams would be fine with either blower at around 10psi. Not sure how that would apply to a turbo. They're not ideal of course, but they both had mentioned that they would be better than the stock ones at lower boost levels.

The consensus i'm getting so far is either a tubo or KB. I appreciate the thoughts and opinions guys. Please keep them coming.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I like the turbo or KB idea......btw, what's wrong? You just get tired of filling the bottle? A ~10psi centri is gonna be weak sauce compared to what you are running now.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, my friend that switched from a 125 hit to a D1 Procharger running like 8psi and he likes the spray better but is too lazy to swap it back over and paid too much for the s/c kit so he is in a sucky situation.

Quick Reply: Vortech + meth or IC Kenne Bell