4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lets get my car to bottom 12's...N/A

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You're gonna have to degree them so I'd say send them to nick and have him degree them and such to where they will be safe.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

bo only the windsor motors need cam gears you have a romeo so you're good.

Originally Posted by teej281
You're gonna have to degree them so I'd say send them to nick and have him degree them and such to where they will be safe.
what do you have to send in in order to get the cams degreed?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
bo only the windsor motors need cam gears you have a romeo so you're good.

what do you have to send in in order to get the cams degreed?

thanks, i never can remember that stuff. my buddy will do the install, he knows how to degree them.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Don't cams have to be degreed with them in the heads and on the engine? So he'd have to send the longblock..Or maybe I am mistaken
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Don't cams have to be degreed with them in the heads and on the engine? So he'd have to send the longblock..Or maybe I am mistaken
that's what i was wondering. i've timed many motors at my work but never degreed a cam. and if i just had to send out the cams/cam gears i'd much rather do that than risk it myself.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Yes, the degreeing service that Nick offers, just gets them degreed according to the cam sprockets. You still need to set the timing according to the crack which is why he send his degreed cams out with adjustable crank gears.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah can someone school me on that? How is it that Nick can degree cams supposedly with just the camshafts and camgears? From what I understand degreeing cams is all about getting things in sync with the cranshaft...so how is it that you can do it without the block?

EDIT: oops late post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Yes, the degreeing service that Nick offers, just gets them degreed according to the cam sprockets. You still need to set the timing according to the crack which is why he send his degreed cams out with adjustable crank gears.
so then would you still need a degree wheel?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Boduke, you stated earlier in the thread about possibly doing MHS heads w/CMS stage 2.5's, and then mentioned the stage 2's. Would you be doing the heads regardless of your choice in cams?

Also, to those inquring about the degreeing service, you will still need a degreeing wheel to get the crank and cams into the proper sequence.

I ended up getting matched cam gears, and TFS adjustable crank gears from Nick when i did mine, because mine came 5-7 degrees retarded from the proper specs.

Last edited by mrtstang; 01-03-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

For the tq boxes. You just have to weld them from what I have been told and had done...cars with this are on the back bumper and fine still. Mine had a 1/4 gap from the irs wheel hop or spherical bearings and I never hooked once in my life due to ****ty nitto 555s.

Is youe trans built? Redline dumps and slicks are gonna put a hurting on your clutch and trans. I never launched mine but powershifted the shiat out of the 3650 and grenaded the trans and blew a hole through my bellhousing from the spec stg 2 clutch blowing up....

Quick Reply: Lets get my car to bottom 12's...N/A