4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

traction control.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by BLACKO9GT
Correct. The traction control automatically turns ON when you start the car. The button on your dash only turns the traction control OFF.
Correctamando !!! It is the most useless feature. I turn mine off all the time cause i personally think traction control is dangerous. And you wont realize how dangerous it is, till you need to slam the gas to get you out of trouble. It is meant for sh--ty drivers that cant comprehend time and distance. Its a total sales pitch. The safety switch is always your foot on the pedal. Thats my opinion anyway
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Yeah. TC will cut off all power to the engine when it activates even if is just for a second. So, if you're counting on launching to cross an intersection or something, you may experience the scariest moment of your life, that is, if you make across.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by redvertstang
If TC was disabled with the SCT, the TC light will never come on no matter what the situation is or what the driver does.
You mean it will never activate and thus never trigger the TC icon light in your gauge cluster.

My TC is programmed off with SCT software and the switch light stays lit all the time to indicate it is deactivated.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
You mean it will never activate and thus never trigger the TC icon light in your gauge cluster.

My TC is programmed off with SCT software and the switch light stays lit all the time to indicate it is deactivated.
That is the way its supposed to be, from what you're describing, your deactivation is working just fine. I turn mine off every time i get into my car and have to push that button , then the light comes on. Trust me, you dont want traction control. It almost killed me twice and got me stuck in snow once and i had to dig myself out cause it cut all power off so i had no momentum. I had no shovel and had to use my hands. i wanted to kill myself and the inventor of traction control
Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
That is the way its supposed to be, from what you're describing, your deactivation is working just fine. I turn mine off every time i get into my car and have to push that button , then the light comes on. Trust me, you dont want traction control. It almost killed me twice and got me stuck in snow once and i had to dig myself out cause it cut all power off so i had no momentum. I had no shovel and had to use my hands. i wanted to kill myself and the inventor of traction control
Yes, I know that my system is working properly. I was just trying to clarify what redvertstang was saying. The switch light should be lit anytime the TC is deactivated.

I don't like the TC under normal conditions, but I would like to be able to activate it in snow or ice conditions. I can't think of any situations where TC should cause an accident. At worst it will cut power until spinning wheels stop spinning.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I live up north my friend, and today it is -38 Celsius up here and snow is just everywhere. Imagine driving and loosing control around a bend because of black ice, and all power is immediately cut off due to traction control. If I had TC deactivated, I could have pressed on the gas and look where I wanted to go and steered my way out of it. Instead, there was not enough time to press the little TC button and I smashed my rear axle into the curb, which translated into mad dough. Its preference really, I like to have TC off and I like to be the judge of power not the computer. I see the point why it was invented, but I think drivers need to experience loosing control, so they can learn how to regain control. As oppose to panicking and thinking that some computer system will always save them every time. That’s my two cents.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I live up north my friend, and today it is -38 Celsius up here and snow is just everywhere. Imagine driving and loosing control around a bend because of black ice, and all power is immediately cut off due to traction control. If I had TC deactivated, I could have pressed on the gas and look where I wanted to go and steered my way out of it. Instead, there was not enough time to press the little TC button and I smashed my rear axle into the curb, which translated into mad dough. Its preference really, I like to have TC off and I like to be the judge of power not the computer. I see the point why it was invented, but I think drivers need to experience loosing control, so they can learn how to regain control. As oppose to panicking and thinking that some computer system will always save them every time. That’s my two cents.
I too think it would be awesome if people would learn to drive instead of hoping the car can make up for their poor driving skills. A lot of the new technology being designed for cars is crap. Automatic parallel parking, lane change detectors, etc...

However, I recently drove my car ~600 miles home from family vacation, and most of it was in the snow. With 4.10 gears the car produces a lot of torque at the wheels. It is extremely easy to spin the wheels when starting from a dead stop. I did get more used to it after a couple of hours of stops and starts on the snow covered highway, but it would have been nice to have the TC at that time. Traffic was so screwed up on the highway that it took us 8.25 hours to drive the final 200 miles.

Note: since we don't get very much winter weather in NC, my winter skills are no longer as sharp as they were when I lived up north. On the rare occassion that I find some snow/ice, I'd love to have the option to turn TC on (I have it programmed off all the time).
Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

In your case, i completely understand your point and it makes sense why you need TC. 4.10 use to cause me headaches sometime in the deep snow too. I wish i was you and i lived where it is warm, cause this snow is just killing me.

I know there is a way to turn it off through the tuner i have, i just have to play around with it once it gets warmer.