4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Picking the right Headers??

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Well Im undoing issue number one. Which was high performance fuel filter. Heck with it i've gone back & bought a motorcraft one. Cuz I really don't see any reason with what i've done to the car & what I drive it for to rip out the fuel lines & pump yet.

Issue number two: Do I need headers? So If I went full-length headers (let's say) is there a "full-length" header set that comes with caddy converters??
whats wrong with the stock headers? i think im missing something here? and honestly longtubes are cool, but if your car is LOW like mine is I wouldnt do those either. for all the money involved its just not worth it TO ME. and headers dont come with cats midpipes do. whats your set up now? ill brb gonna light this blunt for MLK day lmao. brb
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

you would need a new midpipe with cats if you want lts and dont want the extra noise, imho if you want your car to breath better, the money you would spend on lts and midpipe, you could buy cams.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Dteal23
whats wrong with the stock headers? i think im missing something here? and honestly longtubes are cool, but if your car is LOW like mine is I wouldnt do those either. for all the money involved its just not worth it TO ME. and headers dont come with cats midpipes do. whats your set up now? ill brb gonna light this blunt for MLK day lmao. brb
Your not missing anything. Maybe what I should be asking really is what is the benifit to changing out your stock headers besides gaining like 10-12hp? Maybe the Summit dude was wrong but he told me i'd get better air flow to the engine with shorty headers thus creating better mpg??

HAHAHA
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by kugzgt
you would need a new midpipe with cats if you want lts and dont want the extra noise, imho if you want your car to breath better, the money you would spend on lts and midpipe, you could buy cams.
Interesting.... which lt and or midpipe is the quitetest lol?

I maydecide now to add this to my list as well depending on. I was kinda think I'd be done this summer modding this car after I got cobra brakes & different gears. Then again right when I think im out, they pull me right back in again.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

you WILL NOT gain 10-12 hp on shorty headers. they are completely worthless, for how big a pita installation is, just get lts if your dead set on headers
Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

if you dont want it to be louder just get any midpipe with cats
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Actually shorty headers will make it louder at idle and rev
L/T's only get louder at WOT
But yea, shorty's are a waste of time/money
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
sonicx
speed'n

you WILL NOT gain 10-12 hp on shorty headers. they are completely worthless, for how big a pita installation is, just get lts if your dead set on headers
I was saying that to lt & not shorty.

if you dont want it to be louder just get any midpipe with cats
No i've read up and viewed enough I think about mid-pipes that I don't have any questions there.

Although whats the gain with lt's....beside HP? Did anyone on MF here getter better mpg? (Not that im too considered with it, but i'd be a plus).

>Really KUZGT here's what I want: Im looking for better flow of fuel or something to the engine. What should I do?

SIDENOTE: IM looking at a highflow themometer as well. Anyone have any good ones they've used before?

Last edited by sonicx; 01-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

you stock tune, injectors, and fuel regulator determines how much fuel goes into your engine. you wont gain any mpgs dumping more fuel lol and if you wanna dump more fuel you better have the air coming in. my car is cammed with lts and im still on my 19lb injectors. no need for more
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Drive to san antonio and ill trade you my LTs for your shorties if you get em lol. If i was going to get shorties it would either be the FRPP shorties or the JBA shorties.

And pypes headers are not that bad.. I have stage 8 bolts on mine and all I had to do was adjust the steering shaft a little. WELL worth the 280 bucks I spent on the new.

And Kugz...you actually probably need 24l injectors. Your more than likely pushing your 19lbers to 100% duty cycle..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picking the right Headers??