4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Picking the right Headers??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Arrow Picking the right Headers??

I need some advice:

Looking at purchasing stainless steel shorty headers. Whats out there? And along with that which website/ company has the best price?

PS: Would I need to retune my SCT chip once I added headers??

Thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Do yourself a favor and dont buy pypes, although they are very cheap for ss headers they need to be modified to fit, had to bend one primary and grind down the steering shaft so it wouldnt rub and pretty sure you cant use stage 8 bolts with those which i would buy
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

sorry didnt see you wanted shorty headers, honestly its pointless getting shorty headers, for the work and money it costs you get at most 4-5hp not worth it, LT headers are def worth it though and easy to install (for me)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by cisurfer
Do yourself a favor and dont buy pypes, although they are very cheap for ss headers they need to be modified to fit, had to bend one primary and grind down the steering shaft so it wouldnt rub and pretty sure you cant use stage 8 bolts with those which i would buy
ILL add that I don't want to spend anymore than 500 600 bucks for headers. And yeah thanks ^ i've read too many horror stories by others with all types of different issues with pypes company, their people & their products. I've stayed away and will continue to.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by cisurfer
sorry didnt see you wanted shorty headers, honestly its pointless getting shorty headers, for the work and money it costs you get at most 4-5hp not worth it, LT headers are def worth it though and easy to install (for me)
The reason why I say shorty.... cuz my car is loud enough. I don't want it any louder honestly. haha
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

For $500-$600 you can get something like Mac or BBK long tubes and a matching mid pipe. Shorties just aren't woth it IMO.

The loudness is more related to the mid pipe (o/r of catted) and mufflers that you run.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

can i ask why you want to do shortys?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by kugzgt
can i ask why you want to do shortys?
Yes, it all started based off a quest to get a high-performance fuel filter. I soon found out that doing that would require to completely replace the entire fuel system/pump. And for what I had done to my car so far wouldn't amount to much/ be worth it. The reasoning behind this one was because I wanted a better flow of fuel to the engine than the restricted flow you get from the OEM filters. So after talking to Summit Racing I decided to repurchass a Motorcraft fuel filter. And he told me that I should look into a better flow of air into the engine ex: exhaust > catback, midpipe, but then headers. I told him I didn't want any louder exhaust so he told me that I should just keep what I have and get shorty headers. Which wouldn't increase the noise level.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

dont buy shorties, you wont feel a thing.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Dteal23
dont buy shorties, you wont feel a thing.
Well Im undoing issue number one. Which was high performance fuel filter. Heck with it i've gone back & bought a motorcraft one. Cuz I really don't see any reason with what i've done to the car & what I drive it for to rip out the fuel lines & pump yet.

Issue number two: Do I need headers? So If I went full-length headers (let's say) is there a "full-length" header set that comes with caddy converters??

Quick Reply: Picking the right Headers??