4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Squeaking Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

The best thing to do is to take your wheel off and follow the grease trail. You should be able to follow it to the source.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crazycarnut
The best thing to do is to take your wheel off and follow the grease trail. You should be able to follow it to the source.
Updates: Pulled the wheel off. No signs of ANY grease anywhere under the car, or on the wheel well. Maybe It was grease in the road or something? Also, the tire isn't hard to turn, the brakes are rubbing a little. Is this bad?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Our calipers have floating pads... So they may be contacting the rotor, but it's not something to worry about... If a caliper was sticking, i'm sure your car would be pulling to either side of the road when hitting the brakes or just simply driving...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Our calipers have floating pads... So they may be contacting the rotor, but it's not something to worry about... If a caliper was sticking, i'm sure your car would be pulling to either side of the road when hitting the brakes or just simply driving...
Well, the brakes are definitely heating up. I drive on the highway where I rarely have to use the brakes. The paint on the pads are bubbled, and the outside pad backing is coming off. It HAS to be heating up. Every once in awhile the whole wheel is extremely hot. I'm buying a new caliper tomorrow. If it doesn't fix it, I'l get back at you. If it fixes it, then I'm good.

Also. Love your car...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment!

How much are you spending on that caliper? Now is the time to upgrade... For $350, you can have a brand new pair of 13" rotors with new pads and bullitt calipers...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
terminatorcobra

well if its the passenger tire it should pull to the left then...when a caliper seizes it pulls to the opposite side
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment!

How much are you spending on that caliper? Now is the time to upgrade... For $350, you can have a brand new pair of 13" rotors with new pads and bullitt calipers...
The caliper and pads were $86. I just don't have the extra money to upgrade right now. Plus I put new rotors on a few months ago. Just ready to get this brake issue fixed. Then I can start saving for other mods. Did you get your rims painted or you order them like that? I really want to go with the black and white theme. I need to have my rear window tinted, smoked headlights, and tails.

Originally Posted by terminatorcobra
well if its the passenger tire it should pull to the left then...when a caliper seizes it pulls to the opposite side
Yes! I was gonna ask that. Because I was wondering why it was pulling to the opposite side. It just seems to me like if the caliper was stuck it would pull to the right. It pulls pretty hard to the left if I stomp the brakes. I'm 99% sure it's the caliper. Bad new is, the caliper had to be ordered, It will be here Wednesday, and I'll be back at school till next Saturday. Thank you guys so much for your help.

Last edited by MustangLouver; 01-21-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I had originally bought regular black bullitts with the polished lip since that is the only way they came. Then i decided to do something a little different and paint the wheels. They are professionally sprayed with car paint. Not as durable as powdercoat, but i LOVE them...

Go with the stealth black fr500's for your car
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

I had originally bought regular black bullitts with the polished lip since that is the only way they came. Then i decided to do something a little different and paint the wheels. They are professionally sprayed with car paint. Not as durable as powdercoat, but i LOVE them...

Go with the stealth black fr500's for your car
Yea, it looks better without the polished lip. I'm throwing around ideas atm. Either black fr500s, or black saleens. I'm just hoping to get rims before Mustang Week. I can probably get $400 or so for my stockers since they have fairly new tires. I sold my stock v6 rims for $350 when I had my sixxer, and bought chrome cobras with new tires, mounted and balanced for $850 shipped.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
terminatorcobra

well think if the right side is sticking...the left side is moving faster or has more force there for the car wouid want to pull that way...get it? hah but im glad i could help that should be the cause and i was pretty sure there was no grease cuz there really isnt anything there unless like a tie rod end broke open or something odd like that

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise?