4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
This princess has been followed by cars with HID in stock housings and they can be a seriously obnoxious configuration. I have been pondering a set of 35W HID for mine, but I'm still holding off due to the worry over the impact to other drivers. The dark smoked headlights have made my poor factory lighting even worse.

I AM trying to be considerate of others, so glare is a concern of mine. Otherwise, I'd throw a set of 55W HID in it and say screw everyone like suggested above.

I plan to get DDM units if I do it, so I guess that would be my recommendation to you for sourcing.
If you DO order a set let me know how much glare there is with the smoked headlights. It shouldn't be awful. Thats what I'm gonna do. Hopefully it's not to bad. I just refuse to put projectors on my car.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangLouver
If you DO order a set let me know how much glare there is with the smoked headlights. It shouldn't be awful. Thats what I'm gonna do. Hopefully it's not to bad. I just refuse to put projectors on my car.
Since the cost is so low, I am about to pull the trigger on a set of the 55W 5000K units. Once I get them and install them, I will let you know how they look.

I figure at that price it is worth a try. If they are bad, I can just pull them back off. I need to do something to improve the light output now that I have the dark smoked headlights (and a Bullitt doesn't have fogs).
Old 02-13-2011, 04:51 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

i just got to drive my car last night with the hids i put in during christmas and it is fvckin ****! i would recommend hids for ANY car!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

This princess has been followed by cars with HID in stock housings and they can be a seriously obnoxious configuration. I have been pondering a set of 35W HID for mine, but I'm still holding off due to the worry over the impact to other drivers. The dark smoked headlights have made my poor factory lighting even worse.

I AM trying to be considerate of others, so glare is a concern of mine. Otherwise, I'd throw a set of 55W HID in it and say screw everyone like suggested above.

I plan to get DDM units if I do it, so I guess that would be my recommendation to you for sourcing.
i agree i had 35w 10k hids on and i got flashed about 2 times, the second time by a cop and that was enough for me to take them out. i even aimed my headlights down but if put them any lower i would not have been able to see anything so maybe if i buy projectors ill do hids again
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

It smells like tuna in this thread...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Since the cost is so low, I am about to pull the trigger on a set of the 55W 5000K units. Once I get them and install them, I will let you know how they look.

I figure at that price it is worth a try. If they are bad, I can just pull them back off. I need to do something to improve the light output now that I have the dark smoked headlights (and a Bullitt doesn't have fogs).
I'm planning on smoked headlights and HIDs

Originally Posted by kugzgt
i just got to drive my car last night with the hids i put in during christmas and it is fvckin ****! i would recommend hids for ANY car!
Nice bro.

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
i agree i had 35w 10k hids on and i got flashed about 2 times, the second time by a cop and that was enough for me to take them out. i even aimed my headlights down but if put them any lower i would not have been able to see anything so maybe if i buy projectors ill do hids again
Haha. Well....:\

Originally Posted by 2k1gt
It smells like tuna in this thread...
LOL.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
Bummer! I hate to hear that since I pulled the trigger on a set of the 55W 5000K HIDs. If they turn out to be too bright or obnoxious to other drivers, I'll just have to pull them back out.

I am hoping two things may reduce the getting flashed issue.
1. I have dark smoked headlamps, so they will cut down on the amount of light getting out.
2. I got the 5000k which I am hoping will be washed out by the 55W intensity so they don't look blue like aftermarket lights.
I'll post up after I get them installed and get a look at them.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

I am about to order the 55w 6000k dual beam kit from DDM. Do I need the mounting brackets or HID brackets? Or are neither one of those needed for the 99-04 mustang?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

I dont know what those brackets are just get the kit....all you need is the bulb, ballast and the wires to hook into the stock wiring. It's just plug and play!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Bummer! I hate to hear that since I pulled the trigger on a set of the 55W 5000K HIDs. If they turn out to be too bright or obnoxious to other drivers, I'll just have to pull them back out.

I am hoping two things may reduce the getting flashed issue.
1. I have dark smoked headlamps, so they will cut down on the amount of light getting out.
2. I got the 5000k which I am hoping will be washed out by the 55W intensity so they don't look blue like aftermarket lights.
I'll post up after I get them installed and get a look at them.
1. They do but VERY little(I did a side by side with a friend) and I do mean VERY lol.

2. They will be pure white no blue what so ever. Im running the same as you ordered BTW.

Quick Reply: HIDs?