76mm turbo for 2v - Page 2 - MustangForums.com



4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator
 
teej281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,280
Default

67mm will be perfect for you honestly. 56 is WAY WAY TOO SMALL for a v8. The 62mm in the hellion kit spools low and will support mid-500's. Any smaller will not support over 500rwhp. A 67mm will support mid-600's and will do just fine on stock heads and cams and will do even better when going for ported heads and cams.
teej281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member
 
PurpleIcedGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,024
Default

Teej you are supposed to agree.....Drews skittle needs 56mm all the way!
PurpleIcedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
H0SS302
6th Gear Member
 
H0SS302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,548
Default

62mm is (from my research) one of the best compromises between overall power and overall USEABLE power. The torque numbers are far better compared to a 70mm turbo. A 76mm on a regular ol 4.6 is way to big IMO.
H0SS302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator
 
teej281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,280
Default

Unless you are going for an 800rwhp monster, dont go with a 76mm turbo. From the research that I've done, on a built bottom end car, with heads and cams, the best turbo would probably be in the realms of 67-71mm, with the later being better for top end but still giving a little use to the bottom end and the prior being best for overall drivability. I was informed that with the 67mm would be full spooled by 3000-3200rpm with a built motor on the setup that I was planning.
teej281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member
 
KillJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej281 View Post
67mm will be perfect for you honestly. 56 is WAY WAY TOO SMALL for a v8. The 62mm in the hellion kit spools low and will support mid-500's. Any smaller will not support over 500rwhp. A 67mm will support mid-600's and will do just fine on stock heads and cams and will do even better when going for ported heads and cams.
What? The hellion 62mm kit for the termis puts you into the mid 6's.. I still think a 62 is on the big side for a 2v, the built bottom end will do nothing for him with the bottle neck of the stock heads/cams and limitations of the fuel system of the GT
KillJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
H0SS302
6th Gear Member
 
H0SS302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillJoy View Post
What? The hellion 62mm kit for the termis puts you into the mid 6's.. I still think a 62 is on the big side for a 2v, the built bottom end will do nothing for him with the bottle neck of the stock heads/cams and limitations of the fuel system of the GT
This. for my 5.4 build im thinking 62 or smaller for about 420ish HP...

I want lots o' torque.
H0SS302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
EODMustang
1st Gear Member
 
EODMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 82
Default

I have the Hellion kit with the 62mm Turbonetics turbo and sometimes I feel it may be a bit too much for anything but an extremely heavily modified 2V. The turbo is good for up to ~650hp, so unless the car it's going on is fully built, close to it, or will be in the future, it'll never need anything bigger. The 76mm Turbonetics turbo that is offered with the Hellion kits for the Terminator Cobras are good for up to ~1000hp, I think. A 76mm turbo would be absolute overkill for probably 95% of 2Vs out there. My 62mm kicks in at ~3000rpm and I have a 2800rpm stall torque converter, so believe me, I'm not complaining =) but I think a more realistic size for a typical daily driver 2V would be a 57mm.
EODMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member
 
KillJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODMustang View Post
I have the Hellion kit with the 62mm Turbonetics turbo and sometimes I feel it may be a bit too much for anything but an extremely heavily modified 2V. The turbo is good for up to ~650hp, so unless the car it's going on is fully built, close to it, or will be in the future, it'll never need anything bigger. The 76mm Turbonetics turbo that is offered with the Hellion kits for the Terminator Cobras are good for up to ~1000hp, I think. A 76mm turbo would be absolute overkill for probably 95% of 2Vs out there. My 62mm kicks in at ~3000rpm and I have a 2800rpm stall torque converter, so believe me, I'm not complaining =) but I think a more realistic size for a typical daily driver 2V would be a 57mm.

so you're 62mm only spools 5.8lbs of boost at roughly 3k rpm? You'd be forever trying to spool anything over 7psi, which most 2v guys have to run 8-10psi to get the numbers they like.

a 56mm is alot more realistic for the 2v's guys. I know everyone thinks a bigger turbo is better, but having a turbo you can realistically use will give you much more enjoyment over a turbo too big for the car that lags it's ***** off until you're doing 100mph.
KillJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
EODMustang
1st Gear Member
 
EODMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 82
Default

[QUOTE=KillJoy;7412545]so you're 62mm only spools 5.8lbs of boost at roughly 3k rpm? You'd be forever trying to spool anything over 7psi, which most 2v guys have to run 8-10psi to get the numbers they like.

Actually, I need to update those figures. That's before I opened up my exhaust a lot. I'm now pushing 7.5 lbs of boost on the same setup, except I have no mufflers or cats. Seems to me like it's still hitting peak boost at the same rpm, but I'm not exactly sure on that. I honestly can't tell any difference in where the power kicked in compared to the way it was before, because of the way the converter behaves, other than a slight increase in power. Maybe if I was driving a non-stalled auto or a stick I would be able to tell more of a difference.
EODMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
H0SS302
6th Gear Member
 
H0SS302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillJoy View Post
so you're 62mm only spools 5.8lbs of boost at roughly 3k rpm? You'd be forever trying to spool anything over 7psi, which most 2v guys have to run 8-10psi to get the numbers they like.

a 56mm is alot more realistic for the 2v's guys. I know everyone thinks a bigger turbo is better, but having a turbo you can realistically use will give you much more enjoyment over a turbo too big for the car that lags it's ***** off until you're doing 100mph.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally someone with some turbo sense. I dont know why everyone even thinks about doing anything bigger than 62mm on a normal 2v.
H0SS302 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focus ST in my garage. Stone629 The Racers Bench 66 06-02-2016 09:52 PM
Power Adder Sale Granatelli Sales Vendor For Sale / Group Buy Classifieds 9 03-21-2016 06:16 PM
TNT, New PB TCStangerv6 Street/Strip 12 10-11-2015 05:57 PM
2005 to 2009 mustang gt vs optima sx turbo mdj89 2005-2014 Mustangs 5 10-08-2015 09:16 PM
So who wins uedlose The Racers Bench 4 10-01-2015 08:31 PM


Tags
04, 2003, 2v, 2vs, 46, 76mm, cobra, fast, gt, lane, max, motorsports, mustang, power, turbo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.