4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How do I take care of 03/04 OEM Cobra polished wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
ruskiparin

Default How do I take care of 03/04 OEM Cobra polished wheels?

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section I am new here. I purchased 03/04 OEM polished wheels/tires for my SN95. It looks a lot better now (I just need to lower it!). I was wondering if there's anything I need to do to take care of them. I don't want them to get dull, I want them to shiny bling bling hah! But seriously the stang is my DD and I live in the DC metropolitan area so we do get snow/salt for snow. I try to wash the car about every 2 weeks or so, and I heard putting a coat of wax on the wheels is good too. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

clear coat them. if you dont clear coat them, you will be polishing them once a year at least.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
ruskiparin

Clear coat them? Can you elaborate (sorry newbie here). Like spray clear coat over them, from a spray can I buy @ a local auto parts store? Or take them to a shop to do that? I read that OEM wheels already come with clear ?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

i must have misunderstood your post lol, if they are oem and have not been touched you dont have to do anything but clean them. if they have been repolished and not clear coated, you will have to clear coat them. i would recommend a shop do it and bake them.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
ruskiparin

Yeah they're OEM the back of each wheel (inside back) has the Ford logo stamped with the serial # in each wheel. So yeah OEM polished aluminum. So just clean them? Anything on the putting wax on the wheels?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

eh not sure about waxing them. i would just clean them up really good for now.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 AM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

For more routine maintenance, ArmorAll has Wheel Cleaner product specifically made for this need.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Don't curb them!!! Ahh oh boy do I hat seeing wheels with curbage.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
ruskiparin

I know right I park like a foot away from the curb now, wanna keep em fresh! So just armorall or the basic chrome/polish cleaner? Nothing special? When I was buying I was told to go for OEM for longevity and less maintenance, plus I got em for a such a good deal. Bought these with tires, for the same price I sold my factory ones for (essentially just traded them). Anyways just wondering how to keep them nice and shiny. Due to the winters where I reside, there tends to be a good amount of salt on the roads. I know salt is no good for any metal. How often should I wash/clean/polish in bad weather conditions? How about in good weather conditions? Sorry about the million questions, just want them to be well taken care of. Thanks fellas.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If your worried about salt damaging them, and it will over time. Then why not get a cheap set of rims and snow tires for the winter. Then just put back on the 03/04 rims/tires when nice weather arrives. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: How do I take care of 03/04 OEM Cobra polished wheels?