4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Stock 2002 GT, considering mods.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
cheapLEY

Default Stock 2002 GT, considering mods.

I've had my 'stang for almost 5 years now, and it's still stock, save for a set of Flowmasters. I bought it when I was in high school, and I just never had any extra cash to mod it.

Well, now I'm in the Air Force, and I've got some cash available, so I'd like to start adding some power.

The problem is, I don't even know where to start.

My first is going to be exhaust. Probably going to get some high-flow cats rather than going the off-road route.

I want to do Stage II cams, mainly just because I love the way it sounds. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Basic bolt-ons, maybe. Throttle body, CAI? Under drive pulleys?

Right now, I've got about $1200, maybe $1500 I'm wiling to spend, not including the exhaust (I've already go money set aside for that), and I'm just not really sure what to do. What's going to be the most beneficial to me?

Also, I'd like to go Kenne Bell in the future, but I'm not looking for huge numbers, either. Maybe 400 or so. This thing is still my daily driver, and probably will be for a while, at least until I get deployed and can come back with some cash.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

First of all i want to thank you for your service. Second have you considered nitrous? 100 shot is a cheap alternative to supercharger.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheapLEY
I've had my 'stang for almost 5 years now, and it's still stock, save for a set of Flowmasters. I bought it when I was in high school, and I just never had any extra cash to mod it.

Well, now I'm in the Air Force, and I've got some cash available, so I'd like to start adding some power.

The problem is, I don't even know where to start.

My first is going to be exhaust. Probably going to get some high-flow cats rather than going the off-road route.

I want to do Stage II cams, mainly just because I love the way it sounds. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Basic bolt-ons, maybe. Throttle body, CAI? Under drive pulleys?

Right now, I've got about $1200, maybe $1500 I'm wiling to spend, not including the exhaust (I've already go money set aside for that), and I'm just not really sure what to do. What's going to be the most beneficial to me?

Also, I'd like to go Kenne Bell in the future, but I'm not looking for huge numbers, either. Maybe 400 or so. This thing is still my daily driver, and probably will be for a while, at least until I get deployed and can come back with some cash.
i also have a 2002 GT. i currently have Accufab Upper intake plenum, accufab 70mm Thottle body, K&N Intake system, Steeda Underdrive Pullies, MAC Catted H-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, SCT 4bank Performance chip Dyno Tuned by Pete @performance-dyno.com

I recommend the above mods...im have 259 horsepower at the wheels. My next mod will be 4.10 rear gear..which I should have prolly done first..

If you plan on going supercharged you should get a larger throttle body, prolly a 75mm.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

What are your overall goals for the car?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Your setting yourself up to get blasted for this post.. try a search. Hundreds of things about this stuff on here. But, your going to hear "Gears!" a lot on here. If you do stage II cams are you going to do it yourself? You'll have to get new valve springs with it. Depending what cams you go with you'll have to be careful with piston to valve clearance. If you're going with a Kenne Bell later, that will affect your choice of cams. Also it will be beneifical to get a tuner with a cam upgrade. So, by the time your done, you might be able to change the cams, and get a tuner (hopefully with a dyno tune, instead of a can tune) and it will run you roughly about $1200+ if you have them installed. And honestly, if you're considering going with a Kenne Bell, I would'nt waste your money on getting a throttle body, CAI, or drive pulleys right now because of that. Maybe look into LT headers, gears, and suspension first.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Gears, cams, exhaust and tune.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

God I just hate nitrous. Nitrous is for racers.

Go with all the boltons and cams! Cams aren't gonna do ya any good of that pony can't breathe! This means full intake and full exhaust. CAI, throttle body, maybe upper/lower plenum, PI heads, cams, headers, midpipe, and the lot.

Oh don't forget gears! And a great tune.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
onesweet02
1st Gear Member

Just make it look nice. Throw a body kit, wheels and lowering kit .... chick like this ****!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onesweet02
Just make it look nice. Throw a body kit, wheels and lowering kit .... chick like this ****!
Hope your not serious. I would never do a body kit period, for the money you spent on the body kit and then painting it you could have gotten some serious performance done to the car.
Wheels and lowering actually do something if you get wider/lighter wheels and better springs but body kits can suck it!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Harryman2002
Hope your not serious. I would never do a body kit period, for the money you spent on the body kit and then painting it you could have gotten some serious performance done to the car.
Wheels and lowering actually do something if you get wider/lighter wheels and better springs but body kits can suck it!
+158949274529048616!

Quick Reply: Stock 2002 GT, considering mods.