4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Traction control wont turn off,cant smog,please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by badlx87
Showing disrespect and attitude toward guys that almost run this site will not get you an answer. Calm down, everyone has problems. Relax and in time these guys will help you figure it out.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by slicstang
Dude,im not trying to offend anyone,if u were in my shoes and had no ride to work in this bad weather,would u hang around long enough to get to know all the expert mechanics to give u the correct advise in order to get ur ride fixed???I just wanna know out of all these expert mustang owners and mechanics,why havnt anyone got a solution yet,is that so offensive,just bcuz a NEWBIE is asking???...not a good way to welcome a newbie
I hadn't read this prior to my above post...

Obviously I must apologise both for myself, and our group, that we are such a band of ignorant dolts and have not been able--in less than 48 hours--to remotely diagnose and correct YOUR problem.

Acknowledging these shortcomings, here's a copy of the t/c diagnostic and test procedures from the shop manual. It provides simple tests that my 6 year old great grand-daughter could perform, and that will allow you to pinpoint the problem.

------------------------------
BTW, the Bosch 5.3 ABS module used in the '98 to '04 Mustangs is not "flashable" as it uses a masked ROM. Would you really want your brakes relying on EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM)--in which a glitch in the electrical system could bring the system down?

The control modules however do go bad, with poor communication on the SCP bus being a more common problem. The "expert" Ford dealer you found will likely replace the ABS control module, or the entire ABS pump assembly.

If your attitude hadn't ticked me off I would have told you to check the connectors at the ABS pump and make sure they are properly connected, not corroded, etc.; but I'll just keep that to myself now...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 AM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Howdie,
I have a question...related but may not be the same issue. My ABS and TCS are off (sporadically but most of the time). Suspecting a build up of over-heated brake fluid (DOT4 was black after a few fast driving days), I have tried flushing the brakes a few times but to no avail.

I suspect a speed sensor may be flaky. Before I go ahead and start replacing parts...how can I try to pinpoint the problem?

(I am loathe to take the car to the dealership - even though it is under warranty because they have already freaked out about a few mods and now there are more mods than the last time they saw it).

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM
javcarbe

Default I replace the gauge cluster and I got the lights on.

I guess I need flash the ECU My SCT show me this error
Fmaf0b3.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...am/caldnld.htm

I bought the TCS button and didn't work.
you can see my video, also the brake lights stay on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_sBn4nFVX8

I hope some body can help me or it is a way I can take out some fuse to remove the lights from the cluster. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You need to disable the PATS(Passive Anti-Theft System) in order for the new gauge cluster to work and allow the car to operate.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 AM
javcarbe

Default How can I disable the PATS

Could u explain me how can I disable the PATS, Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by javcarbe
Could u explain me how can I disable the PATS, Thanks
It is done in the tune, by changing the scalar value PATS disable switch from 0 to 1. After doing this the "Theft" lamp will blink continuously as an indicator/reminder hat PATS has been disabled.

You should re-install the original instrument cluster before flashing the PATS disabled tune.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:02 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I hadn't read this prior to my above post...

Obviously I must apologise both for myself, and our group, that we are such a band of ignorant dolts and have not been able--in less than 48 hours--to remotely diagnose and correct YOUR problem.

Acknowledging these shortcomings, here's a copy of the t/c diagnostic and test procedures from the shop manual. It provides simple tests that my 6 year old great grand-daughter could perform, and that will allow you to pinpoint the problem.

------------------------------
BTW, the Bosch 5.3 ABS module used in the '98 to '04 Mustangs is not "flashable" as it uses a masked ROM. Would you really want your brakes relying on EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM)--in which a glitch in the electrical system could bring the system down?

The control modules however do go bad, with poor communication on the SCP bus being a more common problem. The "expert" Ford dealer you found will likely replace the ABS control module, or the entire ABS pump assembly.

If your attitude hadn't ticked me off I would have told you to check the connectors at the ABS pump and make sure they are properly connected, not corroded, etc.; but I'll just keep that to myself now...
+1 I use Cliff's web page all the time when I have technical issues and he has helped me with alot of my issue...even with my tuning program and my computer for crying out loud! Be more humble when people try to help you next time kid. This is the wrong guy to have mad at you.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:05 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

I was going to make a suggestion, but after all the attitude, Ill just say that the best thing to do is Move out of the Communist Republik of Kalifornia, and leave smog testing behind you.