4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Suspension Problem, Cant stand it anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension Problem, Cant stand it anymore.

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Automatic Mustang GT.

My car is at about 102,000 miles and any narrow turns or bumps that i go over i feel like my car is doing its own thing. Bouncing, making sounds wobbling, bump feels like a 2 foot pot hole. I mean it feels HORRIBLE, to the point that i dont even want to drive it anymore.

So i went and bought new shocks/struts/springs.

I purchased Koni Shocks/Struts (STR) and BBK springs (about 1.5inch lowering, barely lowered).

That didn't solve my problem at all. Still feels the exact same.

Could it be tie end rods? Could tie end rods really make my car feel like its about to fall apart and go in 50 different directions?

Also when i come to a stop and i touch the brakes these real werid sound comes from my car (suspension issue) it honestly sounds like springs being squished and it did this before i got my new struts/shocks and springs. Yes, i know its hard to describe the sound but it sounds horrible. It will even make it if i put it in park and push down on the brakes. (I got new brakes 6 months ago).

Please guys, any suggestions would be appreciated to the maximum level.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Im not a suspension guru, but do you have subframe connectors? Not sure on the quality of BBK springs.....best of luck getting it all figured out man!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

BBKs arent bad. Put the front end in the air and shake it down. My bet is a broken sway bar end link. Could be a bad inner/outer tie rod end... ball joint, wheel bearing. Hell the rear control arm bushings could be shot and causing the rear to wobble, which will certainly make noises and maek the car feel unstable.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
BBKs arent bad. Put the front end in the air and shake it down. My bet is a broken sway bar end link. Could be a bad inner/outer tie rod end... ball joint, wheel bearing. Hell the rear control arm bushings could be shot and causing the rear to wobble, which will certainly make noises and maek the car feel unstable.

Hm i changed the ball joints about 1 year ago. I changed my two front wheel bearings about 11 months ago. So that narrows it down too.

Broken Sway bar end link
Bad/inner outer tie rod end
Rear Control arm bushings
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

Could be the actual rack and pinion itself, but whitefox hit all the major points pretty well, a side to side shake will tell you if there is tie rod play. Like he said broken links or bad sway bar bushings. Will be egged out and allow the sway bar to move within them. Im not sure how hard you drive but a long shot could be rear axle bearings. Can cause the rear to feel sloppy and shift side to side over bumps
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

Ohh by the way sway bar links may not be broken. If they can be moved up and down they are bad.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

possible bad steering column or shaft, sorry to keep throwing things out there just thinking everything over as if it were in my shop. Ill stop now. W/o driving and feeling ourselves the possibilities are vast.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Again, do you have subframe connectors?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

My rear control arm bushing are blown out, they make noise and the car kinda drags it's *** around sometimes.

Am I concerned? No. They are nothing compared to the coilover and camber plate noises I have.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

LOL, very nice!!

Quick Reply: Suspension Problem, Cant stand it anymore.