4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Magnum T56 Swap Finally Started!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Talking Magnum T56 Swap Finally Started!

Well I finally got all of the parts in to replace my T45 with a Magnum T56 from American Powertrain. Haven't gotten a whole lot accomplished yet since we only had about 2.5-3 hours to work yesterday and weren't in a huge hurry. We did manage to get the starter, mid-pipe, cat-back, and driveshaft out. Hopefully today the old transmission will find it's way out, and maybe the new one will even get put in. Found some nice surprises though yesterday, turns out that what I thought was a stock Cobra actually already had Eibach springs, and some kind of Flowmaster Catback. I've always said it sounded louder than a stock one, but never was sure until now.

I have one question though for you guys, should the offroad h pipe that was on my 97 Cobra fit on this one as well? It looks like it should, I just want to make sure before screwing with trying to get it attached to the manifold only to find out it doesn't fit.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt2010
Well I finally got all of the parts in to replace my T45 with a Magnum T56 from American Powertrain. Haven't gotten a whole lot accomplished yet since we only had about 2.5-3 hours to work yesterday and weren't in a huge hurry. We did manage to get the starter, mid-pipe, cat-back, and driveshaft out. Hopefully today the old transmission will find it's way out, and maybe the new one will even get put in. Found some nice surprises though yesterday, turns out that what I thought was a stock Cobra actually already had Eibach springs, and some kind of Flowmaster Catback. I've always said it sounded louder than a stock one, but never was sure until now.

I have one question though for you guys, should the offroad h pipe that was on my 97 Cobra fit on this one as well? It looks like it should, I just want to make sure before screwing with trying to get it attached to the manifold only to find out it doesn't fit.
If you talking about fitting a 97 h-pipe to your 99 cobra than I wouldn't think so becuase your 99 is a IRS and your 97 was a straight axle.

I would love to get a t-56, how much does the whole setup cost no including the clutch?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=96meangreengt;7469623]If you talking about fitting a 97 h-pipe to your 99 cobra than I wouldn't think so becuase your 99 is a IRS and your 97 was a straight axle.

I would love to get a t-56, how much does the whole setup cost no including the clutch?[/QUOTE]

i too am curious.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Well without the clutch and pressure plate, I'm not sure really since I bought everything together. With them though it came to just around $3800
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt
If you talking about fitting a 97 h-pipe to your 99 cobra than I wouldn't think so becuase your 99 is a IRS and your 97 was a straight axle.

I would love to get a t-56, how much does the whole setup cost no including the clutch?
It has nothing to do with the IRS, its the differences between 96-98 exhaust vs 99-04. all midpipes from 99-04 are interchangable(for v8s) regaurdless of IRS/SRA. I think they can be used, but need a little bit of modding.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:11 PM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
It has nothing to do with the IRS, its the differences between 96-98 exhaust vs 99-04. all midpipes from 99-04 are interchangable(for v8s) regaurdless of IRS/SRA. I think they can be used, but need a little bit of modding.
Okay thats what I was thinking. I wasn't sure how much modifications would be needed though, they look to be pretty much identical, but I'm sure that looks are a bit deceiving.

So as a bit of an update, we ran into a snag today. First major problem was that the top bolt holding the transmission/bellhousing to the engine was an absolute pain the the butt to get to. After we finally got that out, the transmission just won't seperate all the way from the engine. If you look in, the splines of the input shaft are completely free, but the smooth segment on the end just won't clear the fingers in pressure plate. We're kind of at a loss as to what to do next.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96meangreengt

it wouldn't have anything to do with the different axle. i dont thnk it would but can't hurt to try
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by gt2010
Okay thats what I was thinking. I wasn't sure how much modifications would be needed though, they look to be pretty much identical, but I'm sure that looks are a bit deceiving.

So as a bit of an update, we ran into a snag today. First major problem was that the top bolt holding the transmission/bellhousing to the engine was an absolute pain the the butt to get to. After we finally got that out, the transmission just won't seperate all the way from the engine. If you look in, the splines of the input shaft are completely free, but the smooth segment on the end just won't clear the fingers in pressure plate. We're kind of at a loss as to what to do next.
There's nothing about the end of the input shaft that should hang up on the Belleville spring--unless the pilot bearing is stuck on the shaft, and that would be REALLY weird.

I don't mean to insult, however did you remove the shifter?

What you describe is just about how far back the tranny would come with the shifter on. Even if you pull the shift lever it can hang up; I managed to get my tranny out with the MGW shifter in place and the handle removed, but it was a tight squeeze and the shifter came off before the tranny went back in.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There's nothing about the end of the input shaft that should hang up on the Belleville spring--unless the pilot bearing is stuck on the shaft, and that would be REALLY weird.

I don't mean to insult, however did you remove the shifter?

What you describe is just about how far back the tranny would come with the shifter on. Even if you pull the shift lever it can hang up; I managed to get my tranny out with the MGW shifter in place and the handle removed, but it was a tight squeeze and the shifter came off before the tranny went back in.
No offense taken, at this point I'm not above admitting mistakes if I've made them. As far as the pilot bearing being stuck, thats the only thing I could think of, so I stuck my hand in today, and can feel the end of the input shaft just on the other side of the pressure plate. No bearing there... After reaching up above I think I may have found a problem, the top of the transmission seems to be pinching part of the wiring harness, and getting stuck. It moves side to side, but it won't come out any farther no matter what angle I try.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is a pretty good sized harness that runs across the top of the bell housing--it needs to be moved upward a bit; and make sure the engine is tilted back as much as it can go (if you just placed the starter out of the way it can get in the way of the engine tilting backward--I cracked a starter housing that way once...

Quick Reply: Magnum T56 Swap Finally Started!