4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I Quit!!! I need Everyones Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:54 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by H0SS302
If I had an auto tranny the first thing I would do to it is the J-mod, then get a tuner. Then add nitrous, then win.
Stall > J mod
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

You wanna know something funny... I have D-Bag boy here on my ignoer list.. but im 95% confident he quoted me and said something about an atuo tranny.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03SonicBlue_GT
not to pricy..now would i have to drop the tranny. and i thought the sct x3 tuners changed the shifting on and auto with the different set ups?
Back to info on your questions. The tuners do change the **** pressure on the auto but thats it it will increase, decrease the line pressure but too much lpressure can cause longterm damage the shift kit has larger passages so to say than the stock tranny so its like the stock tranny you are turning up the pressure on a water hose while the hose is kinda kinked the flow of water/pressure will increase but you still have the kink. Now a shift kit with the tuner you can still turn up the shift pressure but its more like the kink in the hose is gone with the shift kit larger passages so more pressure would cause less damage. That wasnt in very technical terms and some clowns may say something negative about my way of putting it but I hope that kind of explains it to you. As far as nitrous or running a blower thats up to you and it looks like in another thread you were already lookin at a blower saleen type so that is what it is. And someone said something about not going through too much nitrous when he "street races"! Im gonna leave that where its at hope that helps good luck in whatever direction you go. Run on sentences and its one large paragraph but this isnt school or class so that doesnt matter.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
You wanna know something funny... I have D-Bag boy here on my ignoer list.. but im 95% confident he quoted me and said something about an atuo tranny.
Haha HOSS you must have some magical powers or something cause you are correct!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

The first thing you should buy is non-cobra center caps for your rims. After that....

In layman's terms a "J-MOD" is a stock Valve Body that has select fluid flow cavities ported out to allow more fluid to flow all at once. The "Valve Body" is the portion of your transmission that directs and routes transmission fluid through cavities to control shifts. Its a direct swap. The effect is much firmer and faster shifts(two different things). With a handheld tuner you can make huge differences in how the car shifts with just a few parameter changes. You can have it shift smooth and soft like stock or it can shift firm, fast and slam your forehead against the steering wheel. With that being said I think a handheld tuner is the absolute most important mod for any Auto Mustang. Its a major building block. An aftermarket transmission cooler is about equally important. The dyno tuner that quoted you probably quoted you for the cost of a handheld tuner + dyno tune. A dyno tune only should be 300-400. A handheld will be 300-400 as well.

If you want in-depth information on the 4R70W and the J-MOD VB heres a link. This mod was designed by an ex-Ford engineer named Jerry Wroblewski who helped design the transmission that is in your car. He now works for SCT.

A lot of us are in this situation. I chose to ignore all bolt-ons and only spend towards support mods for a S/C. After I got the support mods done I spent the next year saving cash for the KB. I feel that I have more fun than 90%+ of the guys in this section with my car. With that being said. Save up and do what you want the most, the right way. Do not get cheapo half *** used kits that are just thrown together. Daddy always told me you can't have champagne taste with beer money. I encourage you to choose what you want the most and spend the cash to do it right. You do not need "full exhaust" for a S/C. You're exhaust will flow plenty of air for that S/C to be just fine all the way up to your engine internals limits. Heres a fact for you. Ford put the same diameter exhaust on the factory supercharged 2003 Cobra that is on all of the 99-04 2v GTs. Why? Because 2.5" exhaust already flows plenty!

I used to put an incredible amount of effort into trying to educate dunces around here on the 4R70W and its mods. But I gave up. I will let my car speak for itself, peep the sig and this video. This is a 4R70W with a J-MOD Valve body and a tranny cooler, thats it.

The video and audio sucks because its a ****ty camera and I had my finger over the damn audio vents while recording. Whatever, you can still hear the KB whining lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhemVfPGT8k
Old 04-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Who cares what centercaps he has? My car has cobra center caps. I don't really want to spend money on something that small. Specially when the var has gt all over it.

Go for nitrous, leave stock exhaust for now. 350 Whp is going to be more fun than hearing your car.. will be like a sleeper...
Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Harryman2002
Haha HOSS you must have some magical powers or something cause you are correct!
LOL I figured as much...anytime I say ANYTHING about an auto tranny he has to put his .02 in on what I said.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryan86272
Who cares what centercaps he has? My car has cobra center caps. I don't really want to spend money on something that small. Specially when the var has gt all over it.

Go for nitrous, leave stock exhaust for now. 350 Whp is going to be more fun than hearing your car.. will be like a sleeper...
The first thing you should do is buy non-cobra center caps for your rims. After that.....